name origins

  • Laura Morgan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
      Trying to document the origins of the name "Othon."

      Reason being...We would like to name our new pup after a very good friend who died 3 years ago. His SCA name was " Othon." I was trying to figure out where he got the name, but so far have not had any luck. The pup is a german breed, and I thought that "Othon" was a germanic name. but I cant find anything on it.

      Anybody know anything?

      I don't NEED my dog's name to be period, but I would like it to be.

      Laura

      Laura Morgan
      with Aubrey & Booga

    • Terri Morgan
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
        There's a suggestion that "Othon" is a derivative of "Odin" thanks to the
        frequent d/th shift when writing in English but that was all I could find.

        I'd wonder if "othon" is a word rather than a name, for example, "the Bomb"
        or "the grump".

        Hrothny
      • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
          > Trying to document the origins of the name "Othon."

          Othon is a period variant of Otto.

          Duke Otto the great of Saxony (962-973) was also recorded as Othon

          Capt Elias
          Dragonship Haven, East
          (Stratford, CT, USA)

          -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

          - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
          There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
          than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

          Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
          Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
          To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
          Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
          Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
          Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
          You stand upon the ravage and behold
          A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
          For so appears this fleet majestical,
          Holding due course to Harfleur.
          - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue
        • Joannah Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 15, 2005
            OTTO - Teutonic - 'rich, prosperous'. St Otho ( d.1130 ) converted Pomerania to Christianity.
            variations - Odilon, Othello ( Italian ), Othes ( French ), Othi ( Gypsy ), Otho, Oton ( Spanish & Portuguese ), Otteran, Ottone ( Italian ), Otterino ( Italian ), Udo.

            from 'The Great Australian & New Zealand Book of Baby Names' by Cecily Dynes

            More info.

            Joannah