Pinstriped Wool and Striped Linen

  • jclaneva@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      Okay, folks, I need opinions, and I know this group has more than a few.
      *grin* I have access to some pretty suit weight wool in a charcoal gray
      with a very discreet gray pinstripe. I also have some linen/cotton blend
      with strips of green and blue on a natural background. These stripes are
      about 1-1/2" apart and about 1/4" wide. Would these pieces work for Italian
      Ren, fairly early in the period? (The bodice pattern I use makes a raised
      waist that's about 1" above my natural waist.) I have some red wool scraps
      that could trim the gray. Also, I have some coating wool that I plan to use
      for a 12th century gown. Would it be too terribly hot to wear indoors? The
      goal was a warm gown for outdoor events in the fall and early spring, but
      could it be an indoor gown in the winter?

      Your thoughts are most appreciated,

      Jannifer aka Jan aka Jann I'Fyr

    • m d b
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2005
        > Would these pieces work for Italian
        > Ren, fairly early in the period? (The bodice pattern I use makes a
        raised
        > waist that's about 1" above my natural waist.) I have some red
        wool scraps
        > that could trim the gray.

        I've spotted, had spotted and shown to me three paintigns with fine
        stiped dress. Two were Italian, late 16thC and one was English same
        time frame. I'll just see if I can find them again...

        Copying from previous comments and emails:
        There is a portrait of three children by Sofonisba Anguisola, the two
        girls wear nearly matching dresses made from a vertical striped
        fabric (perhpas horizontally striped laid sideways, you can do this
        for children's dresses due to their height.)
        http://www.corsham-court.co.uk/Pictures/Gaddi.html The picture is a
        lot bigger than it appears. Save it and it will be 1770X1190

        Ijust spotted in a book at the library today a few more children's
        dress in a vertically striped fabric. It is of Lord Cobham and his
        family.

        The three girls are wearing dark fabric with pale stripes.
        http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Various_4.htm
        http://www.tudor-portraits.com/WilliamBrooke.jpg

        http://www.livejournal.com/users/aclisto/81360.html
        SO Bella has a couple more stripes on her site as well.

        Also, I have some coating wool that I plan to use
        > for a 12th century gown. Would it be too terribly hot to wear
        indoors? The
        > goal was a warm gown for outdoor events in the fall and early
        spring, but
        > could it be an indoor gown in the winter?

        It depends on your wool, what you line it with and where you are:) I
        have been wearigna wool gauze lined in linen recently and it's been
        too hot to wear because of the mugginess. Yet in similar temperatures
        but a dry climate I can even wear blanket wool if it's lined with
        linen!

        It's probably fine for the purposes you are going to use it for:)

        Willemyne van Nymegen
        http://glittersweet.com