Re: Period Starch or How to Stiffen Linen

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
      Either wheat paste or rice paste would work. The recipe for either is
      simple. One part flour of your choice to four and a half or five parts
      water. Let sit for half an hour. Heat over low heat (double boiler)
      stirring constantly, bring to a boil for no more than thirty seconds
      (or it gets to gellatinous. Apply it to the linen while still warm
      then shape the linen.

      One caveat is that both of these starches will soften in high humidity
      or contact with water.

      There are other glues out there that are more sturdy against these,
      fish glue and hide glue for example. Cenninni has a recipe for fish
      glue (as well as wheat paste).

      Hide glue is simple to make, too, just boil scraps of leather(undyed)
      or parchment in water. Reduce over heat until it is almost gelatinous.
      Use while hot (it doesn't reheat). Shape and let dry.

      Donata Bonacorsi
    • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
        Donata said:
        > Hide glue is simple to make, too, just boil scraps of leather(undyed)
        > or parchment in water. Reduce over heat until it is almost gelatinous.
        > Use while hot (it doesn't reheat). Shape and let dry.

        If you add more water to dried hyde glue, it will reconstitute (or hide
        glue, however you prefer to spell it). I only know this because I've done
        it a few times. On the same pot of glue.

        Bogdan

        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
        Postdoctoral Fellow
        Department of Biological Sciences
        North Dakota State University
        Stevens Hall
        Fargo, ND 58105
        jeffrey.heilveil@...
      • Emmie
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
          > Of course, that's predominantly English fashions, as far as I
          recall,
          > and not German, and it *is* Sixteenth Century, neither of which
          might
          > be very helpful, documentation-wise. (Sorry: not recalling the time-
          > frame for the linen toque.)

          I apologize, I was thinking faster than I was typing and I did not put
          the time frame at hand... 1300-1350 (Manesse Codex.) Al of the input
          has been wonderful, thank you!

          Elisabeth