Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period Starch or How to Stiffen Linen

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
      I know that the limners typically use wheat starch, and that it may have
      been the starch used in period sugarpaste (there is one recipe that calls
      for starch that I have found).

      Despina could probably give you info on the source that talks about starch
      for limners.

      Hope this helps.
      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences
      North Dakota State University
      Stevens Hall
      Fargo, ND 58105
      jeffrey.heilveil@...
    • Dawn Malmstrom
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
        Either wheat paste or rice paste would work. The recipe for either is
        simple. One part flour of your choice to four and a half or five parts
        water. Let sit for half an hour. Heat over low heat (double boiler)
        stirring constantly, bring to a boil for no more than thirty seconds
        (or it gets to gellatinous. Apply it to the linen while still warm
        then shape the linen.

        One caveat is that both of these starches will soften in high humidity
        or contact with water.

        There are other glues out there that are more sturdy against these,
        fish glue and hide glue for example. Cenninni has a recipe for fish
        glue (as well as wheat paste).

        Hide glue is simple to make, too, just boil scraps of leather(undyed)
        or parchment in water. Reduce over heat until it is almost gelatinous.
        Use while hot (it doesn't reheat). Shape and let dry.

        Donata Bonacorsi
      • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
          Donata said:
          > Hide glue is simple to make, too, just boil scraps of leather(undyed)
          > or parchment in water. Reduce over heat until it is almost gelatinous.
          > Use while hot (it doesn't reheat). Shape and let dry.

          If you add more water to dried hyde glue, it will reconstitute (or hide
          glue, however you prefer to spell it). I only know this because I've done
          it a few times. On the same pot of glue.

          Bogdan

          Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
          Postdoctoral Fellow
          Department of Biological Sciences
          North Dakota State University
          Stevens Hall
          Fargo, ND 58105
          jeffrey.heilveil@...
        • Emmie
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
            > Of course, that's predominantly English fashions, as far as I
            recall,
            > and not German, and it *is* Sixteenth Century, neither of which
            might
            > be very helpful, documentation-wise. (Sorry: not recalling the time-
            > frame for the linen toque.)

            I apologize, I was thinking faster than I was typing and I did not put
            the time frame at hand... 1300-1350 (Manesse Codex.) Al of the input
            has been wonderful, thank you!

            Elisabeth