Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period Starch or How to Stiffen Linen

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
      I would suggest wheat starch.

      Smiles,
      Despina de la it's a direction

    • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
        I know that the limners typically use wheat starch, and that it may have
        been the starch used in period sugarpaste (there is one recipe that calls
        for starch that I have found).

        Despina could probably give you info on the source that talks about starch
        for limners.

        Hope this helps.
        Bogdan

        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
        Postdoctoral Fellow
        Department of Biological Sciences
        North Dakota State University
        Stevens Hall
        Fargo, ND 58105
        jeffrey.heilveil@...
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
          In Jane Ashelford's "A Visual History of the Sixteenth Century," I
          *think* is where I read this: starch for stiffening ruffs (and other
          items, of course) was obtained by "seething" barley---not wheat. As
          near as I can tell, the seething is similar to simmering, as opposed
          to boiling.
          That's what I recall reading.
          And what step or steps, if any, came between the seething and the
          application (which I have assumed is immersion of the article to be
          stiffened), I don't know.

          Of course, that's predominantly English fashions, as far as I recall,
          and not German, and it *is* Sixteenth Century, neither of which might
          be very helpful, documentation-wise. (Sorry: not recalling the time-
          frame for the linen toque.)

          Yseult the Gentle
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Amy Heilveil <amyheilveil@g...>
          wrote:

          > I would suggest wheat starch.

          > Despina de la it's a direction

        • Dawn Malmstrom
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
            Either wheat paste or rice paste would work. The recipe for either is
            simple. One part flour of your choice to four and a half or five parts
            water. Let sit for half an hour. Heat over low heat (double boiler)
            stirring constantly, bring to a boil for no more than thirty seconds
            (or it gets to gellatinous. Apply it to the linen while still warm
            then shape the linen.

            One caveat is that both of these starches will soften in high humidity
            or contact with water.

            There are other glues out there that are more sturdy against these,
            fish glue and hide glue for example. Cenninni has a recipe for fish
            glue (as well as wheat paste).

            Hide glue is simple to make, too, just boil scraps of leather(undyed)
            or parchment in water. Reduce over heat until it is almost gelatinous.
            Use while hot (it doesn't reheat). Shape and let dry.

            Donata Bonacorsi
          • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
              Donata said:
              > Hide glue is simple to make, too, just boil scraps of leather(undyed)
              > or parchment in water. Reduce over heat until it is almost gelatinous.
              > Use while hot (it doesn't reheat). Shape and let dry.

              If you add more water to dried hyde glue, it will reconstitute (or hide
              glue, however you prefer to spell it). I only know this because I've done
              it a few times. On the same pot of glue.

              Bogdan

              Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
              Postdoctoral Fellow
              Department of Biological Sciences
              North Dakota State University
              Stevens Hall
              Fargo, ND 58105
              jeffrey.heilveil@...
            • Emmie
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
                > Of course, that's predominantly English fashions, as far as I
                recall,
                > and not German, and it *is* Sixteenth Century, neither of which
                might
                > be very helpful, documentation-wise. (Sorry: not recalling the time-
                > frame for the linen toque.)

                I apologize, I was thinking faster than I was typing and I did not put
                the time frame at hand... 1300-1350 (Manesse Codex.) Al of the input
                has been wonderful, thank you!

                Elisabeth