Late 16th c Bohemia - Book for sale

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
      I was at Moe's Books yesterday and picked up a book on spec, assuming
      that somebody I knew would be delighted to take it off my hands for
      cost+shipping. It's an exhibition catalog:

      Fucikova, Eliska et al. ed. 1997. Rudolf II and Progue: The Court
      and the City. Prague Castle Administration / Thames and Hudson, Skira.

      This is a THICK book -- nearly 800 pages, well over a thousand
      images with maybe 10% of them in color. What looks like a complete
      catalog of the exhibition, as well as descriptions of related
      material that was not on display, plus nearly 400 pages of
      explanatory discussion. It focuses generally on the era of the
      Emperor Rudolf II (reigned 1576-1612) and his court in Prague. The
      exhibition includes a great deal of everyday material culture items
      (albeit often very fancy ones) and -- the reason why it's passing
      through my hands rather than simply mentioning its existence --
      photos and descriptions of about two dozen surviving garments,
      including the burial garments of men, women, and children of the
      royal family. Pottery, tableware, musical instruments, fancy dishes,
      scientific instruments, embroidered synagogue curtains, book
      bindings, furniture, chests, and lots and lots of artwork. (There's
      also one item I wouldn't mind suppressing knowledge of: a suit of
      Japanese armor that Rudolf had in his collection.)

      Here's the deal: I bought this book for $45. Yes, only $45. (plus
      sales tax) I'm going to be scanning all the information on surviving
      garments, but after that I don't really have a need to continue
      owning this book. I would be delighted to pass it on for my price
      plus shipping costs to someone who desperately needs to own this
      book. I'm offering it on this list first because I think people here
      are likely to have that sort of desperate need. Given the season, if
      someone really wants this in hand before Christmas or 12th night, I
      can make it a high priority to get the scanning done (although it'll
      probably increase your shipping costs).

      Any takers?

      Tangwystyl
      --
      Heather Rose Jones
      heather.jones@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
        Tangwystyl

        I sent you an email off-list, but did not get a reply, so I'm not sure you
        got it. If you do not have a taker yet, I'd like to buy the book.

        Beth of Walnutvale (mka Beth Matney)

      • Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
          On Dec 7, 2005, at 2:32 PM, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

          > Tangwystyl
          >
          > I sent you an email off-list, but did not get a reply, so I'm not
          > sure you
          > got it. If you do not have a taker yet, I'd like to buy the book.

          Sorry -- I haven't replied to anybody yet. Life is being extra busy
          at the moment since I'm in the middle of acquiring a mortgage (to buy
          out my parents' share of the house I've been living in for 20
          years). I'll get back to the luck and not-so-lucky parties in the
          next couple days.

          Tangwystyl