FW: [Authentic_SCA] dye change

  • Killienne Gibson-Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      ________________________________

      From: Bjo Trimble [mailto:bjotrimble@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:00 PM
      To: Killienne Gibson-Thomas
      Subject: RE: [Authentic_SCA] dye change

      I'm not on this list, so please forward my answer to one and all, or
      just the person who asked. Either which, as my mentally challenged
      daughter, Lady Kathryn, says.

      No, you don't need to wash the alum mordant out before dyeing -
      actually, all the alum that the wool will absorb is now more or less a
      permanent part of it. Commercial dyes won't even know it's there.

      However, be careful dyeing wool yardage because it can felt fairly fast.
      This is caused by the washing machine agitation and drastic changes in
      temperature. So if you start out with room temperature dye-water (for
      example) then you can bring the dye-water to boiling but you have to let
      it cool to room temperature again if rinsing with room temperature
      water. Make sense?

      I can help with suggestions on how to dye yardage but it's a long
      message so Dianora might like to consult with me off-list. Otherwise,
      I'll probably bore everyone else to tears.

      Also, there are wonderful ways to use cochineal without wasting it that
      I'll gladly share.

      I do hope she's not planning on using Rit, which is more a nasty stain
      than a real dye. She should get a good fiber reactive dye.

      I know nothing of this list - I very much enjoy historical dye research
      but I'm not a fanatic about it, and get rather tired of those who want
      me to be. Is this a fun group of people or are they deadly serious?

      Bjo Trimble
      SCA: Maestra Flavia Beatrice Carmigniani, OL, OP
      Dye & Fiber Retreat Report: http://www.griffindyeworks.com
      <http://www.griffindyeworks.com>
      Blue Nails Dyers Guild: http://www.bluenailsguild.org

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
        Mistress Flavia is absolutely right about Rit - it's awful stuff. If you
        must use a commercial dye, go with Procion or something like that. Rit is lousy.

        Sarah Davies