Re: what you've gotten yourself into

  • megh_e
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 23, 2005
      Caitlin,

      Wow - quite an impressive list.

      I'm in the middle of a Byzantine project - currently in search of an
      appropriate fabric for a dalmatica. Could you tell me where you found
      the one you like? And any other ideas for places to look would be
      appreciated. I'm becoming quite frustrated. My fondest hope is 3 yards
      of silk I can afford (sari maybe?) for a 5-6th century noble lady.

      Thanks,
      Megh E.

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "caitlin_oduibhir"
      <caitlin_oduibhir@y...> wrote:

      > :-)
      >
      > I figured that I would list some of the projects I have cooking right
      > now, and see if any of them you might be interested in geeking out on.
      >

      > Tarq and I will be attacking Little India soon too. ....... So
      hopefully I can find some
      > purdy fabric for my daltmatica for crown along the same lines as his.
      > Failing that I have found *the* fabric in the US, but it's being
      > willing to make the dive for $26/USD a yard.
      >
      > This is what I keep myself out of trouble with. *grin*
      >
      > Cait.

    • caitlin_oduibhir
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 25, 2005
        Hi Megh,

        This is the stuff I have my eye on if I don't find something in Little
        India.
        http://dollarfabric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=00000001&Category_Code=2054

        I've had the samples sent and tested the fibres - it's real silk.

        Cait.

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "megh_e" <megh_e@y...> wrote:

        > Caitlin,
        >
        > Wow - quite an impressive list.
        >
        > I'm in the middle of a Byzantine project - currently in search of an
        > appropriate fabric for a dalmatica. Could you tell me where you found
        > the one you like? And any other ideas for places to look would be
        > appreciated. I'm becoming quite frustrated. My fondest hope is 3 yards
        > of silk I can afford (sari maybe?) for a 5-6th century noble lady.
      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
            Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about lengths
            of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?

            I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.

            Thanks

            ~Apollonia Voss

            _____

            > This is the stuff I have my eye on if I don't find something in Little
            > India.
            > http://dollarfabric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY
            <http://dollarfabric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=00000
            001&Category_Code=2054> &Store_Code=00000001&Category_Code=2054

            > I've had the samples sent and tested the fibres - it's real silk.
            >
            > Cait.

            Oooh, preeeetty. Which one do you like?

            If I don't get the teal and gold before it's gone, I think I'll use the blue

            for the Gown of Doom. That's lovely.

            Laurensa

            * Visit your group "Authentic_SCA
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Authentic_SCA> " on the web.

            _____

          • caitlin_oduibhir
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
              Red, definitely. It's my colour. Blue looks nice on me, however this
              is my Crown kit, so would like to have some relevant match to my
              Champion, and our mutual colour preference is red. 'Sides, red is a
              very popular Byzantine colour. The white is too subtle for me - it
              would be great to dye I suppose. I've known about this stuff for
              ooh... coming on a year now, and their stock hasn't changed. Short of
              a sudden spike in purchasing, I doubt it'll go out of stock anytime
              soon. :-)

              Cait.

              > Oooh, preeeetty. Which one do you like?
              >
              > If I don't get the teal and gold before it's gone, I think I'll use
              the blue
              > for the Gown of Doom. That's lovely.
              >
              > Laurensa

            • caitlin_oduibhir
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
                Well.. the Little India Im talking about is in Toronto. You can find
                anything your heart desires there. I imagine it's the same for most
                major cities. Short of that, I know there are a lot of very reliable
                and well priced saree online shops that will sell you anything you desire.

                Cait.

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Apolloniavoss"
                <apolloniavoss@s...> wrote:

                > Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about
                lengths
                > of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?
                >
                > I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.
              • wodeford
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
                  <apolloniavoss@s...> wrote:

                  > Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about
                  lengths
                  > of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?
                  >
                  > I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.

                  You might try eBay. I've seen sari silks pop up there when my Japanese
                  alter ego has been trolling for fabric....

                  Jehanne de Wodeford
                • Apolloniavoss
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
                    Can you direct me to one of the "very reliable and well priced saree online
                    shop?" I have yet to find a site that will sell me modern Indian clothing
                    and other imports.

                    ~Apollonia

                    _____

                    <apolloniavoss@s...> wrote:

                    > Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about
                    lengths
                    > of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?
                    >
                    > I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.

                    This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                    Credit
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history&w1=Credit+history&w2=Che
                    ck+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=Credit+
                    history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=O0nQleJGmTwA18rmIJASxg
                    > history

                    Check
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Check+credit+history&w1=Credit+history&
                    w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=C
                    redit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=gPxnHBS1UPpEuhaD
                    F6cTrg> credit history

                    Credit
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history+report&w1=Credit+history
                    &w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=
                    Credit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=hV0Ty-DaZ8GmWSC
                    bmtrUSQ> history report

                    Free
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Free+credit+history&w1=Credit+history&w
                    2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=Cr
                    edit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=v_v5I9WFMfLb-v3-y
                    D8Cfg> credit history

                    Credit
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history+repair&w1=Credit+history
                    &w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=
                    Credit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=Qd_yFU_DUgj0-0K
                    tXPd5ow> history repair

                    Credit
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history+score&w1=Credit+history&
                    w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=C
                    redit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=hpciNfX0gzZnKsvv
                    nHTwpA> history score

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "Authentic_SCA
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Authentic_SCA> " on the web.

                    _____

                  • Kelley
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
                      MODERATOR'S NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST TO SUCCESSIVE MESSAGES.

                      Megh -

                      I would love to hear what you do with that much silk - or if you have
                      a pattern in mind. I was given some Thai silk that I'm not quite
                      sure what to do with. It is probably 4 yards total, I'm guessing.
                      Half is solid purple color and the other half is the purple with
                      orange and pink splashes of color woven throughout. My guess is that
                      it was woven with the traditional Thai garment in mind, but I would
                      like to adapt it for something different. Any suggestions would be
                      appreciated.

                      Thanks,
                      Cate
                    • Jessica
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
                        How wide is the silk? You may be able to use it for skirt panels.

                        Findabhair

                      • megh_e
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
                          Cate,

                          I'm slowly assembling a 5-6th century Byzantine noblewoman's ensemble.
                          Tunica w clavii, dalmatica with collar, etc. The silk is for the
                          dalmatica. Hopefully I will be able to enter it in our baronial A&S
                          championship in January.

                          I will admit I don't have any ideas for your silk. My suggestion would
                          be to post a picture in "Photos" and request ideas.

                          Megh E.

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@a...> wrote:

                          > Megh -
                          >
                          > I would love to hear what you do with that much silk - or if you have
                          > a pattern in mind. I was given some Thai silk that I'm not quite
                          > sure what to do with. It is probably 4 yards total, I'm guessing.
                          > Half is solid purple color and the other half is the purple with
                          > orange and pink splashes of color woven throughout. My guess is that
                          > it was woven with the traditional Thai garment in mind, but I would
                          > like to adapt it for something different. Any suggestions would be
                          > appreciated.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Cate

                        • Kelley
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
                            The silk is long enough for a straight skirt, it goes from about my
                            waist down to the floor. I'm not sure what "design" would go well with
                            the layout/length/style/etc. of the fabric. It is lovely stuff and I
                            really don't want to mess it up.

                            Cate

                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica" <noinini@t...> wrote:

                            > How wide is the silk? You may be able to use it for skirt panels.
                            >

                            > Findabhair

                          • Katherine Throckmorton
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
                              Apollonia wrote:

                              > Can you direct me to one of the "very reliable and well priced saree online
                              > shop?" I have yet to find a site that will sell me modern Indian clothing
                              > and other imports.

                              Typing "sari" into google will come up with all kinds of site that will do just that. Personally I've had good luck with Sari Safari whose site is:
                              www.sarisafari.com

                              -Katherine

                              Darth Vader: No disintegrations.
                              Boba Fett: As you wish...
                              That was all he ever said. What Vader never realized was that when Boba said "As you wish" what he was really saying was, "I love you."

                            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
                                Using Froogle comes up with a number of links. Just casual browsing brought
                                up "shopindia.com", which looked to have very reasonable prices.

                                Laurensa
                                >> Can you direct me to one of the "very reliable and well priced saree
                                >> online
                                >> shop?" I have yet to find a site that will sell me modern Indian
                                >> clothing
                                >> and other imports.
                                >
                                > Typing "sari" into google will come up with all kinds of site that will do
                                > just that. Personally I've had good luck with Sari Safari whose site is:
                                > www.sarisafari.com
                                >
                                > -Katherine
                                >
                                > Darth Vader: No disintegrations.
                                > Boba Fett: As you wish...
                                > That was all he ever said. What Vader never realized was that when Boba
                                > said "As you wish" what he was really saying was, "I love you."
                                >

                                > --
                                >
                                > Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number. -Lycos Yellow
                                > Pages
                                >
                                > http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10

                              • Melanie / Millicent
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  Caitlin,

                                  What weight was the fabric? Would it be strong enough for a
                                  non-supportive gown? I know the site lists a weight but I'm unable to
                                  convert that into something useful. :)

                                  Thanks,
                                  Melanie

                                  --
                                  Melanie Cozad melaniesuzanne@...
                                  ~ Lady Millicent Chandler (formerly Melissent d'Artois) ~