what you've gotten yourself into

  • caitlin_oduibhir
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 21, 2005
      :-)

      I figured that I would list some of the projects I have cooking right
      now, and see if any of them you might be interested in geeking out on.

      IN PROGRESS:
      Mether cup provenance project: It all started with an ugly Irish
      wooden cup at the ROM. It has turned into a major research project
      that has me working with 2 universities, 5 museums and the RIA in
      Ireland. I set it aside to concentrate on Pent... it's time to get
      back to it.

      Order of the Garter goldwork project: A personal gift to a friend.
      Based on Maximilian's garter, c. 1489. Working with Anglesey House in
      England for their condition report and obverse photo - which to my
      knowledge no one else will have seen before, and Raymond's Quiet Press
      for the metal work commission. You'll only know who the friend is if
      you recognise the project. ;-) Probably going to do a little geeking
      with Joanna on this one.

      Byzantine Dalmatica: for Tarquin, the beading and embroidery patterns
      based on the Insignia of the Holy Roman Empire, the white alba and
      blue/red Dalmatica. He helps me with these things. He is, despite
      being thick skulled and well bruised, is rather well rounded in the arts.

      UPCOMING:
      Decent Anglo-Saxon/norman looking early period kit: In time for
      Troubadors. We theme that event every year to a culture and period,
      this year it is Normans invade. Since I have an early period sassenach
      for a foster brother, I thought that should he ever have the chance to
      plant a coronet on my head, it might be nice to have something that
      reasonably matches something he does too. I might just hand stitch
      this one. I have visions of some early goldwork vandyke stitches for
      trim on the collar though. :-)

      Livrustkammaren translation Project: I unearthed a copy of vol IV: 8-9
      of the Journal of Stockholm, 1948 about a year ago. It is the first
      conservation of the Sture shirts, circa 1565, the journal was written
      in 1948 - Arnold did the fashion layer, I don't know if the posthumous
      book upcoming has the shirts in it. I have a friend in Saffle Sweden
      who has the sense of humour to help me with such projects. Project
      date start: January, scanning the book during December. Several other
      costumers are waiting on my results for this one.

      The Met trip: I had my request approved by the Costume Institute to
      have the Sicilian Bridal Underwear collection and a pair of chopines
      taken from storage for a documentation. Tenatively booked for very
      early January. I do/did have a partner for this, but it depends on her
      schedule. I think I am going to just book it and hope for the best - I
      have eye surgery coming up mid January, and she is a school teacher in
      Detroit and doesn't trust her temps to not completely ruin her class;
      thus I might end up doing this myself. Always looking for travel
      companions, though. :-)

      Dressing Tarquin: I have to drag my sassenach brother into the
      cinquecento. The painting he *doesn't* hate:
      http://www.wga.hu/art/m/moroni/port_sol.jpg. Not a truly perfect
      Venetian, but generally acceptible. Just getting him into hose will be
      enough of a challenge. However he is dedicated to the idea, willing to
      buy the right shoes to fit the portrait period. The above translation
      project can help in producing a decent man's shirt. Just so long as I
      don't try putting a raging codpiece on, he'll be okay with it. (he
      refuses to understand the concept that codpieces *just* might get him
      laid! - 19 yo guy mentality, y'know. hehehe!) The major challenges are
      making something that looks the part but still indestructable enough
      to survive him. I found the most beeyooteeful silk velvet for this,
      but he nearly died when I suggested he wear it - it's too perfect and
      $33/USD a yard, he knows he would ruin something. I have to reinforce
      his clothing more than I do my 4 yo daughters'. Although he hates
      admitting it, I also scotchgard everything I make for him. Yes, he is
      that hard on clothing, Virginia.

      PECKING AT:
      Perfume recipe translation project: What the heck, Rinacimento Latin
      Italian seems like a perfectly useful language to learn. An original
      book held at Fisher Rare books library, U of T:
      Notandissimi secreti de l'arte profvmatoria : per far ogli,
      acque, paste, balle, moscardini, vccelletti, paternostri, e tutta
      l'arte intiera, come si ricerca, cosi nella città di Napoli del
      Realme, come in Roma, e quini in la città di Vinegia nuouamente
      ristampati Secreti nuovi de l'arte profumatoria
      by Rosetti, Gioanventura, fl. 1530-1548, Rampazetto, Francesco, fl.
      1540-75? (printer)74 pages, [6] leaves : ill.
      When I have some time I'll breeze in and pull this book for a perusal.
      I want to stink historically too... ;-)

      ...and a few heraldic pursuits as well. :-) one is the banner I
      donated to the Catrina auction and someone gave me a primary doc to
      sort for english name doc reference I want to peck at when I am bored.
      *G* bored.... Riiiiiiiiight....

      Tarq and I will be attacking Little India soon too. He pays me in
      exotic fabric for all the extra work I do to make him shiny and
      pretty. :-) He has offered to let me loose in little India...
      Hehehehe.. he knows not what he suggests. So hopefully I can find some
      purdy fabric for my daltmatica for crown along the same lines as his.
      Failing that I have found *the* fabric in the US, but it's being
      willing to make the dive for $26/USD a yard.

      This is what I keep myself out of trouble with. *grin*

      Cait.
    • borderlands15213
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 21, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "caitlin_oduibhir"
        <caitlin_oduibhir@y...> wrote:

        > :-)
        >
        > I figured that I would list some of the projects I have cooking
        right
        > now, and see if any of them you might be interested in geeking out
        on.

        <<<MUCH SNIPPAGE>>>>

        > Dressing Tarquin: I have to drag my sassenach brother into the
        > cinquecento. The painting he *doesn't* hate:
        > http://www.wga.hu/art/m/moroni/port_sol.jpg. Not a truly perfect
        > Venetian, but generally acceptible. Just getting him into hose will
        be
        > enough of a challenge.
        <<<<MUCH ADDITIONAL SNIPPAGE>>>>
        > This is what I keep myself out of trouble with. *grin*
        >
        > Cait.

      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2005
          Oops! Hadn't meant to hit "Send" before I composed a message! My
          bad.

          Cait,
          Your link takes me to an *old* Web Gallery of Art page; the "Enter
          Here" links to the current greeting page for WGA; finding Moroni
          portraits is no problem but which one do you mean?

          Yseult the Gentle

          <caitlin_oduibhir@y...> wrote:

          > :-)
          >
          > I figured that I would list some of the projects I have cooking
          right
          > now, and see if any of them you might be interested in geeking out
          on.

          > <<<MUCH SNIPPAGE>>>
          > Dressing Tarquin: I have to drag my sassenach brother into the
          > cinquecento. The painting he *doesn't* hate:
          > http://www.wga.hu/art/m/moroni/port_sol.jpg. Not a truly perfect
          > Venetian, but generally acceptible. Just getting him into hose will
          be
          > enough of a challenge. However he is dedicated to the idea, willing
          > buy the right shoes to fit the portrait period.
          <<<MUCH ADDITIONAL SNIPPAGE>>>>

          > This is what I keep myself out of trouble with. *grin*
          >
          > Cait.

        • caitlin_oduibhir
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 22, 2005
            GAK! *LMAO* ooooooh dear. I sent this to the wrong address! Well, if
            everyone can keep a few of my champions' secrets, I'll recover. *LOL*

            Aaaaaaanyway, to answer your question.... *still chuckling*

            It's "Portrait of a Soldier". That's weird too, I think I took that
            address from the stats pop up on that screen. Ooops. oh well.

            Cait.
          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 23, 2005
              Betcha you are indeed LYAO, since I probably ought to have worked that
              out myself from the url... %-S
              Or, not, if your post was sent to the wrong address.... ;->

              Yseult the Gentle

              <caitlin_oduibhir@y...> wrote:

              > GAK! *LMAO* ooooooh dear. I sent this to the wrong address! Well, if
              > everyone can keep a few of my champions' secrets, I'll recover. *LOL*
              >
              > Aaaaaaanyway, to answer your question.... *still chuckling*
              >
              > It's "Portrait of a Soldier". That's weird too, I think I took that
              > address from the stats pop up on that screen. Ooops. oh well.
              >
              > Cait.

            • megh_e
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 23, 2005
                Caitlin,

                Wow - quite an impressive list.

                I'm in the middle of a Byzantine project - currently in search of an
                appropriate fabric for a dalmatica. Could you tell me where you found
                the one you like? And any other ideas for places to look would be
                appreciated. I'm becoming quite frustrated. My fondest hope is 3 yards
                of silk I can afford (sari maybe?) for a 5-6th century noble lady.

                Thanks,
                Megh E.

                <caitlin_oduibhir@y...> wrote:

                > :-)
                >
                > I figured that I would list some of the projects I have cooking right
                > now, and see if any of them you might be interested in geeking out on.
                >

                > Tarq and I will be attacking Little India soon too. ....... So
                hopefully I can find some
                > purdy fabric for my daltmatica for crown along the same lines as his.
                > Failing that I have found *the* fabric in the US, but it's being
                > willing to make the dive for $26/USD a yard.
                >
                > This is what I keep myself out of trouble with. *grin*
                >
                > Cait.

              • caitlin_oduibhir
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 25, 2005
                  Hi Megh,

                  This is the stuff I have my eye on if I don't find something in Little
                  India.
                  http://dollarfabric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=00000001&Category_Code=2054

                  I've had the samples sent and tested the fibres - it's real silk.

                  Cait.

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "megh_e" <megh_e@y...> wrote:

                  > Caitlin,
                  >
                  > Wow - quite an impressive list.
                  >
                  > I'm in the middle of a Byzantine project - currently in search of an
                  > appropriate fabric for a dalmatica. Could you tell me where you found
                  > the one you like? And any other ideas for places to look would be
                  > appreciated. I'm becoming quite frustrated. My fondest hope is 3 yards
                  > of silk I can afford (sari maybe?) for a 5-6th century noble lady.
                • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
                      Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about lengths
                      of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?

                      I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.

                      Thanks

                      ~Apollonia Voss

                      _____

                      > This is the stuff I have my eye on if I don't find something in Little
                      > India.
                      > http://dollarfabric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY
                      <http://dollarfabric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=00000
                      001&Category_Code=2054> &Store_Code=00000001&Category_Code=2054

                      > I've had the samples sent and tested the fibres - it's real silk.
                      >
                      > Cait.

                      Oooh, preeeetty. Which one do you like?

                      If I don't get the teal and gold before it's gone, I think I'll use the blue

                      for the Gown of Doom. That's lovely.

                      Laurensa

                      * Visit your group "Authentic_SCA
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Authentic_SCA> " on the web.

                      _____

                    • caitlin_oduibhir
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
                        Red, definitely. It's my colour. Blue looks nice on me, however this
                        is my Crown kit, so would like to have some relevant match to my
                        Champion, and our mutual colour preference is red. 'Sides, red is a
                        very popular Byzantine colour. The white is too subtle for me - it
                        would be great to dye I suppose. I've known about this stuff for
                        ooh... coming on a year now, and their stock hasn't changed. Short of
                        a sudden spike in purchasing, I doubt it'll go out of stock anytime
                        soon. :-)

                        Cait.

                        > Oooh, preeeetty. Which one do you like?
                        >
                        > If I don't get the teal and gold before it's gone, I think I'll use
                        the blue
                        > for the Gown of Doom. That's lovely.
                        >
                        > Laurensa

                      • caitlin_oduibhir
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
                          Well.. the Little India Im talking about is in Toronto. You can find
                          anything your heart desires there. I imagine it's the same for most
                          major cities. Short of that, I know there are a lot of very reliable
                          and well priced saree online shops that will sell you anything you desire.

                          Cait.

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Apolloniavoss"
                          <apolloniavoss@s...> wrote:

                          > Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about
                          lengths
                          > of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?
                          >
                          > I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.
                        • wodeford
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
                            <apolloniavoss@s...> wrote:

                            > Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about
                            lengths
                            > of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?
                            >
                            > I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.

                            You might try eBay. I've seen sari silks pop up there when my Japanese
                            alter ego has been trolling for fabric....

                            Jehanne de Wodeford
                          • Apolloniavoss
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 28, 2005
                              Can you direct me to one of the "very reliable and well priced saree online
                              shop?" I have yet to find a site that will sell me modern Indian clothing
                              and other imports.

                              ~Apollonia

                              _____

                              <apolloniavoss@s...> wrote:

                              > Where is little India? Can you buy clothing there also? What about
                              lengths
                              > of hand embroidered and shisha bespeckled fabric?
                              >
                              > I'm looking for sources for both for mundane use.

                              This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                              Credit
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history&w1=Credit+history&w2=Che
                              ck+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=Credit+
                              history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=O0nQleJGmTwA18rmIJASxg
                              > history

                              Check
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Check+credit+history&w1=Credit+history&
                              w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=C
                              redit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=gPxnHBS1UPpEuhaD
                              F6cTrg> credit history

                              Credit
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history+report&w1=Credit+history
                              &w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=
                              Credit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=hV0Ty-DaZ8GmWSC
                              bmtrUSQ> history report

                              Free
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Free+credit+history&w1=Credit+history&w
                              2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=Cr
                              edit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=v_v5I9WFMfLb-v3-y
                              D8Cfg> credit history

                              Credit
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history+repair&w1=Credit+history
                              &w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=
                              Credit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=Qd_yFU_DUgj0-0K
                              tXPd5ow> history repair

                              Credit
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history+score&w1=Credit+history&
                              w2=Check+credit+history&w3=Credit+history+report&w4=Free+credit+history&w5=C
                              redit+history+repair&w6=Credit+history+score&c=6&s=151&.sig=hpciNfX0gzZnKsvv
                              nHTwpA> history score

                              _____

                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              * Visit your group "Authentic_SCA
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Authentic_SCA> " on the web.

                              _____

                            • Kelley
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
                                MODERATOR'S NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST TO SUCCESSIVE MESSAGES.

                                Megh -

                                I would love to hear what you do with that much silk - or if you have
                                a pattern in mind. I was given some Thai silk that I'm not quite
                                sure what to do with. It is probably 4 yards total, I'm guessing.
                                Half is solid purple color and the other half is the purple with
                                orange and pink splashes of color woven throughout. My guess is that
                                it was woven with the traditional Thai garment in mind, but I would
                                like to adapt it for something different. Any suggestions would be
                                appreciated.

                                Thanks,
                                Cate
                              • Jessica
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
                                  How wide is the silk? You may be able to use it for skirt panels.

                                  Findabhair

                                • megh_e
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
                                    Cate,

                                    I'm slowly assembling a 5-6th century Byzantine noblewoman's ensemble.
                                    Tunica w clavii, dalmatica with collar, etc. The silk is for the
                                    dalmatica. Hopefully I will be able to enter it in our baronial A&S
                                    championship in January.

                                    I will admit I don't have any ideas for your silk. My suggestion would
                                    be to post a picture in "Photos" and request ideas.

                                    Megh E.

                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@a...> wrote:

                                    > Megh -
                                    >
                                    > I would love to hear what you do with that much silk - or if you have
                                    > a pattern in mind. I was given some Thai silk that I'm not quite
                                    > sure what to do with. It is probably 4 yards total, I'm guessing.
                                    > Half is solid purple color and the other half is the purple with
                                    > orange and pink splashes of color woven throughout. My guess is that
                                    > it was woven with the traditional Thai garment in mind, but I would
                                    > like to adapt it for something different. Any suggestions would be
                                    > appreciated.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Cate

                                  • Kelley
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
                                      The silk is long enough for a straight skirt, it goes from about my
                                      waist down to the floor. I'm not sure what "design" would go well with
                                      the layout/length/style/etc. of the fabric. It is lovely stuff and I
                                      really don't want to mess it up.

                                      Cate

                                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica" <noinini@t...> wrote:

                                      > How wide is the silk? You may be able to use it for skirt panels.
                                      >

                                      > Findabhair

                                    • Katherine Throckmorton
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
                                        Apollonia wrote:

                                        > Can you direct me to one of the "very reliable and well priced saree online
                                        > shop?" I have yet to find a site that will sell me modern Indian clothing
                                        > and other imports.

                                        Typing "sari" into google will come up with all kinds of site that will do just that. Personally I've had good luck with Sari Safari whose site is:
                                        www.sarisafari.com

                                        -Katherine

                                        Darth Vader: No disintegrations.
                                        Boba Fett: As you wish...
                                        That was all he ever said. What Vader never realized was that when Boba said "As you wish" what he was really saying was, "I love you."

                                      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
                                          Using Froogle comes up with a number of links. Just casual browsing brought
                                          up "shopindia.com", which looked to have very reasonable prices.

                                          Laurensa
                                          >> Can you direct me to one of the "very reliable and well priced saree
                                          >> online
                                          >> shop?" I have yet to find a site that will sell me modern Indian
                                          >> clothing
                                          >> and other imports.
                                          >
                                          > Typing "sari" into google will come up with all kinds of site that will do
                                          > just that. Personally I've had good luck with Sari Safari whose site is:
                                          > www.sarisafari.com
                                          >
                                          > -Katherine
                                          >
                                          > Darth Vader: No disintegrations.
                                          > Boba Fett: As you wish...
                                          > That was all he ever said. What Vader never realized was that when Boba
                                          > said "As you wish" what he was really saying was, "I love you."
                                          >

                                          > --
                                          >
                                          > Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number. -Lycos Yellow
                                          > Pages
                                          >
                                          > http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10

                                        • Melanie / Millicent
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
                                            Caitlin,

                                            What weight was the fabric? Would it be strong enough for a
                                            non-supportive gown? I know the site lists a weight but I'm unable to
                                            convert that into something useful. :)

                                            Thanks,
                                            Melanie

                                            --
                                            Melanie Cozad melaniesuzanne@...
                                            ~ Lady Millicent Chandler (formerly Melissent d'Artois) ~