Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 3068

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2005
      There were numerous bone chess pieces (67 pieces from 41 sets) found in the
      excavations in medieval (12th - 14th century) Novgorod. This is the only
      other major "find" (other than the "Lewis") that I am aware of. Some (26
      pieces) of these are shown on pg 100 (plate 102) in the English summary volume:

      Novgorod the Great: Excavations at the Medieval City Directed by A.V.
      Artikhovsky and B.A. Kolchin. by Thompson, M.W. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall.
      Cloth. 104 pp, 103 illustrations. Evelyn, Adams & Mackay, 1967, London.

      I know of no "replicas" of these being marketed, but they would not be too
      difficult to make since they are abstract rather than figures like the
      Lewis. Some are similar to scattered individual Viking finds but most are
      "in the symbolic form characteristic of this period in Europe and the east"
      (pp. 101). All the pieces of the game were found.

      Beth Matney