Make-up

  • Frederick
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2005
      Last week I just remembered something I read somwhere (forgot where
      though) which I can't find now.

      I read that norse guys wore eye makeup like the egyptions. I've been
      searching to see if this was true and have not found anything.
      Does anyone know if it is true?

      ~Frederick~
    • lenastrid
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick" <mage_iii@y...> wrote:
        <snip>
        > I read that norse guys wore eye makeup like the egyptions. I've been
        > searching to see if this was true and have not found anything.
        > Does anyone know if it is true?

        It's mentioned among the norse traders in the present Russia/Ukraine area, by Ibn Fadlan
        AFAIK. Perhaps someone on the Norsefolk_2 list can give you a quote or book reference.

        /Lena
      • Albrecht von Arnsperg
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
          I've been away from the list for a while, but I thought I could shed some light on this question.

          A 10th century Arab merchant named Ibrahim al-Tartushi described the use of eye makeup by the inhabitants of Hedeby:

          "There is also an artificial make-up for the eyes; when they use it their beauty never fades, but on the contrary it increases in men and women as well."

          Hope that helps.

          Albrecht

          Frederick <mage_iii@...> wrote:
          Last week I just remembered something I read somwhere (forgot where
          though) which I can't find now.

          I read that norse guys wore eye makeup like the egyptions. I've been
          searching to see if this was true and have not found anything.
          Does anyone know if it is true?

          ~Frederick~

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

          Credit history Check credit history Credit history report Free credit history Credit history repair Credit history score