Looking for silly but period suggestions for a fundraiser

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      Greetings all,
      I will be doing hairbraiding (mostly French, not period I know) as a
      fundraiser for someone in our Kingdom who is hospitalized with cancer
      right now. I need to make a sign for it and it made me wonder what a
      period term for this sort of thing would be? I know people had
      hairdressing done in the 16th century, including seeing barbers, but
      what would it have been called? Barber brings to mind Steve Martin &
      pliers & seem very masculine - was there a correct female term for
      someone who dressed hair in the 16th century? There's an 18th century
      French term for a close servant of the body who deals with shaving &
      the like (have to find it, can't get my brain around it this morning)
      but I'm stumped for the 16th century. Anybody have any good ideas?
      Silly is fine - the best I've come up with so far is 'Tonsorial
      Chamber' & tonsorial is way out of period.....
      Cheers,
      Margaret Hepburn