Dye Workshop on Nov 12

  • dilitaunt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
      Medieval Dye Pot
      Join us while we explore dyestuffs used during the Medieval and
      Renaissance period and some plants locally available.
      We will be dying with Logwood, Brazilwood, Indigo for a period blue,
      Madder root or Cochineal for a period red, Weld, Onion skin or
      Fustic for a period yellow, walnut hulls for a period brown and if
      we are lucky, black.
      And the many combinations that are possible from these.
      For fun we may include carrot tops, dandelions, Tumeric (the
      possible source of the Irish "saffron" Leine) and others depending
      on how many pots we can keep hot at one time.

      1-day workshop fee: $40/student
      All that is necessary for the workshop is provided.
      Students may bring up to one pound of additional clean fleece,
      handspun yarns or hand-woven fabric samples to experiment with. (All
      materials must be pre-washed.)
      Students should also bring: note-taking materials, sharp scissors,
      a fine-tipped BLACK "Sharpie" permanent marker and rubber gloves
      that fit you confortably. (blue hands may be funny but not so great
      to live with for a month)

      The workshop sequence:
      AM: start dye pots, mordant fibers, Learn the necessary safety
      steps, Learn basics of natural dyeing and discuss some of the
      history of medieval dyes.
      Lunch: A stew and bread, pot luck contributions are welcome.
      PM: enter yarns, fibers, modify with vinegar, ammonia, or others
      Instructor Provided Materials:
      Mordants: alum, iron, copper
      Modifiers: vinegar, ammonia, chalk
      Auxiliaries: lye, (thiox), washing soda, tin, chrome
      Dyestuffs: *brazilwood (pink, maroon, red) for a period blue;
      indigo, for a period yellow; weld, fustic wood, onion skin or
      tumeric, for a period red; madder root or cochineal, for a period
      brown and maybe black; walnut hulls.
      Fabrics: wool, silk, (fleece, fabric & yarn)
      Tools: Enameled, Aluminum, Copper & Iron pots, stir sticks, (rubber
      gloves) and as many propane stoves I can borrow.

      Contact: Dilitaunt@... Phone: 503-982-2896
    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        *WHERE* is this workshop taking place? There are people on this list from
        literally all over the world.
        Thanks,
        Despina de la need to include location for workshops and the like, please

      • dilitaunt
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005

          > *WHERE* is this workshop taking place? There are people on this list
          from

          Oh, my! I am sincerly sorry. The workshop is happening in Woodburn
          Oregon, USA
          It is 20 minutes from Salem Oregon and 45 minutes from Portland Oregon
          if that helps.
          Dilitaunt the idiot