[Authentic_SCA] Re: Cool needle work supply shop

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
      At 4:39 PM +0000 10/22/05, wodeford wrote:
      >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Throckmorton"
      ><kthrockmorton@l...> wrote:
      >
      >> http://www.needlestack.com
      >
      >Hey, I live near this! And of course, don't do needlework....

      Heh heh heh. We could do something about that, you know..... <rubs
      hands together evilly>

      At 8:42 AM +0000 10/22/05, willo wrote:
      >I bought knitting needles and am hoping my husband finds some time
      >to teach me soon. I
      >crochet, but I understand knitting to be earlier, plus I make a lot
      >of mundane things for my
      >son and I believe knitting on needles is faster...

      If it matters, knitting is also within our period, while crochet is
      later (around 1800 at the earliest). You might want to listen in on
      the HistoricKnit list, if it interests you -- lots of good people and
      good advice. It covers all of history through about 1950, but the
      discussion tends to focus on pre-1600, late 1700s-early 1800s and
      Victorian. (It's not an SCA list but there are quite a few SCA-ers on
      it.

      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
      + Chris Laning <claning@...>
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@i...> wrote:
        > >Hey, I live near this! And of course, don't do needlework....
        >
        > Heh heh heh. We could do something about that, you know..... <rubs
        > hands together evilly>

        Christian, I have too many projects as it is. ;-> Goes with having
        Multiple Persona Disorder.

        Jehanne
      • Katherine Throckmorton
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
          OOPS! I meant to send this to a totally different list. I'm glad someone found it interesting :)

          -Katherine

          > > http://www.needlestack.com
          >
          > Hey, I live near this! And of course, don't do needlework....
          >
          > Jehanne de Wodeford

          Three things authentic: Food, clothing, tentage
          Two things modern: Medicine and contraception
          One thing both: Sun protection

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
            <kthrockmorton@l...> wrote:

            > OOPS! I meant to send this to a totally different list. I'm glad
            someone found it interesting :)

            I believe Urtatim patronizes the Haystack. She knits and embroiders
            and all that.

            Jehanne
          • Huette von Ahrens
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2005
              > Message: 6
              > Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:17:44 -0500
              > From: "Katherine Throckmorton"
              > <kthrockmorton@...>
              > Subject: Cool needle work supply shop
              >

              > http://www.needlestack.com
              >
              > I haven't bought anything from them, but they have a
              > good reputation, both for customer service and for
              > being able to find almost anything you need.

              Interesting ... At first I thought is was the place
              that I go to all the time here in Southern California,
              but yours is in Alameda, near San Francisco.

              This is the place that I recommend, which I shop at
              all the time:

              http://www.needleinahaystack.net/

              This is not far from Los Angeles. They both have the
              same name, but don't appear to be connected. I highly
              recommend the one here in Montrose.

              Huette
              Caid

              http://farechase.yahoo.com