Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 3029

  • Qara Qulan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2005

      > Margaret Hepburn wrote:

      Most appear to be done in short arm cross stitch, but some of them
      > are a combo of stitches.

      Very interesting! Thank you.

      The Needlework of Mary Queen of Scots by
      > Margaret Swain has color pictures.

      I ordered it from the library. I heard that it's mostly B&W, so I was
      hoping there might be a more recent book somewhere.

      Some of the more recent
      > biographies of Mary usually have at least one of them. You might
      > also try writing Oxborough Hall, where many of them are currently on
      > display. They have a brief souvenir book about the hangings with
      > many color photos that you can probably still purchase through them.

      I'll definitely give that a try, thanks!
      Jerusha wrote:

      NOpe -- even the V&A admits that most of her slips are done in "regular"
      > cross-stitch. If you didn't see the email exchange between a lady from
      > the ask Kingdom and the V&A, I can send it to you -- or post it to the
      > list.

      I think I found that, but it was very late, so I must have missed where it
      specified short-armed.

      I have several images scanned at 300 dpi -- are there any that you are
      > particularly interested in? They were scanned from the book The
      > Needlework of MAry Queen of Scots -- and the cross-stitch shows up
      > rather well at 300 dpi.

      I have the book on order from the library, so I can scan myself, but thanks
      (I'm very fond of the delphin).
      I think I must start saving up for a trip to England. So many exciting
      museums, so few decent photos available.
      Thanks to all who replied,
      Qara Qulan