Re: Cross stitch and Mary Queen of Scots

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
      Most appear to be done in short arm cross stitch, but some of them
      are a combo of stitches. The Needlework of Mary Queen of Scots by
      Margaret Swain has color pictures. Some of the more recent
      biographies of Mary usually have at least one of them. You might
      also try writing Oxborough Hall, where many of them are currently on
      display. They have a brief souvenir book about the hangings with
      many color photos that you can probably still purchase through them.
      I'll see if I can find any on line for you.
      Cheers,
      Margaret Hepburn
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Qara Qulan <qaraqulan@g...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
        Sorry, I spelled that wrong, it's Oxburgh Hall, in Norfolk. They are
        a National Trust property, here's the website,
        http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-
        oxburghhall/
        oxburgh hall
        it should have contact info.

        The V&A access to images site has 17 of the embroideries. go to the
        site at http://images.vam.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?
        _IXSESSION_=&submit-button=search&search-form=main/index.html
        and enter 'Mary Queen of Scots' and it will pull them up.
        Good luck!
        wrote:

        > I have recently been messing about with Renaissance cross stitch
        again. I'm
        > especially interested in the pieces by Mary Queen of Scots
        (animals, etc.),
        > but I have only been able to find blurry black-and-white
        photographs in a
        > book on Scottish embroidery. I can't even tell if they're done in
        long-arm
        > (I would guess this is the case) or short-arm cross stitch, and
        the book
        > does not specify. Does anyone know where I could find color
        (preferably
        > large) photographs and whether the pieces are long- or short-arm
        cross
        > stitch?
        >
        > -Qara Qulan

      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
          Quoting Qara Qulan <qaraqulan@...>:

          > I have recently been messing about with Renaissance cross stitch again. I'm
          > especially interested in the pieces by Mary Queen of Scots (animals, etc.),
          > but I have only been able to find blurry black-and-white photographs in a
          > book on Scottish embroidery. I can't even tell if they're done in long-arm
          > (I would guess this is the case) or short-arm cross stitch, and the book
          > does not specify. Does anyone know where I could find color (preferably
          > large) photographs and whether the pieces are long- or short-arm cross
          > stitch?

          NOpe -- even the V&A admits that most of her slips are done in "regular"
          cross-stitch. If you didn't see the email exchange between a lady from
          the ask Kingdom and the V&A, I can send it to you -- or post it to the
          list.

          I have several images scanned at 300 dpi -- are there any that you are
          particularly interested in? They were scanned from the book The
          Needlework of MAry Queen of Scots -- and the cross-stitch shows up
          rather well at 300 dpi.

          Jerusha
          -----
          Susan Farmer