Cross stitch and Mary Queen of Scots

  • Qara Qulan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
      I have recently been messing about with Renaissance cross stitch again. I'm
      especially interested in the pieces by Mary Queen of Scots (animals, etc.),
      but I have only been able to find blurry black-and-white photographs in a
      book on Scottish embroidery. I can't even tell if they're done in long-arm
      (I would guess this is the case) or short-arm cross stitch, and the book
      does not specify. Does anyone know where I could find color (preferably
      large) photographs and whether the pieces are long- or short-arm cross
      stitch?

      -Qara Qulan

    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
        Most appear to be done in short arm cross stitch, but some of them
        are a combo of stitches. The Needlework of Mary Queen of Scots by
        Margaret Swain has color pictures. Some of the more recent
        biographies of Mary usually have at least one of them. You might
        also try writing Oxborough Hall, where many of them are currently on
        display. They have a brief souvenir book about the hangings with
        many color photos that you can probably still purchase through them.
        I'll see if I can find any on line for you.
        Cheers,
        Margaret Hepburn
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Qara Qulan <qaraqulan@g...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
          Sorry, I spelled that wrong, it's Oxburgh Hall, in Norfolk. They are
          a National Trust property, here's the website,
          http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-
          oxburghhall/
          oxburgh hall
          it should have contact info.

          The V&A access to images site has 17 of the embroideries. go to the
          site at http://images.vam.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?
          _IXSESSION_=&submit-button=search&search-form=main/index.html
          and enter 'Mary Queen of Scots' and it will pull them up.
          Good luck!
          wrote:

          > I have recently been messing about with Renaissance cross stitch
          again. I'm
          > especially interested in the pieces by Mary Queen of Scots
          (animals, etc.),
          > but I have only been able to find blurry black-and-white
          photographs in a
          > book on Scottish embroidery. I can't even tell if they're done in
          long-arm
          > (I would guess this is the case) or short-arm cross stitch, and
          the book
          > does not specify. Does anyone know where I could find color
          (preferably
          > large) photographs and whether the pieces are long- or short-arm
          cross
          > stitch?
          >
          > -Qara Qulan

        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
            Quoting Qara Qulan <qaraqulan@...>:

            > I have recently been messing about with Renaissance cross stitch again. I'm
            > especially interested in the pieces by Mary Queen of Scots (animals, etc.),
            > but I have only been able to find blurry black-and-white photographs in a
            > book on Scottish embroidery. I can't even tell if they're done in long-arm
            > (I would guess this is the case) or short-arm cross stitch, and the book
            > does not specify. Does anyone know where I could find color (preferably
            > large) photographs and whether the pieces are long- or short-arm cross
            > stitch?

            NOpe -- even the V&A admits that most of her slips are done in "regular"
            cross-stitch. If you didn't see the email exchange between a lady from
            the ask Kingdom and the V&A, I can send it to you -- or post it to the
            list.

            I have several images scanned at 300 dpi -- are there any that you are
            particularly interested in? They were scanned from the book The
            Needlework of MAry Queen of Scots -- and the cross-stitch shows up
            rather well at 300 dpi.

            Jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer