tablet weaving loom

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
      I've been looking for good archaeological drawings (with measurements)
      and/or photos of the tablet loom found in the Oseburg ship burial. I have
      the original finds photos in my books, but the pieces are a jumble and I
      cannot make out the details. While in the UK recently, I ran across several
      of these being demonstrated by the various groups over there, but no one
      had the documentation. I took measurements and photos of these, but that is
      still not documentation.

      Have there been any other archaeological (or museum) finds of other period
      tablet looms that anyone is aware of?

      Thanks.

      Beth of Walnutvale (mka Beth Matney)
    • CatalinadeGata
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
        on a slight tangent...while perhaps a bit harder to lug
        around they are SO much easier to use then the flat table
        ones or inkle looms where you work away from you. You can
        sit in a relaxed position and work in front of you so there
        is no strain on the back and shoulders. I recently made one
        and just trialed it at a championship weekend last weekend
        and I got through so much more than I normally do. (I have
        carpal tunnel in both wrists and bursitis in one shoulder)

        Natasha

        We got our designs from the Peter Collingwood book, he has
        drawings from artwork of period looms.

        --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

        > I've been looking for good archaeological drawings (with
        > measurements)
        > and/or photos of the tablet loom found in the Oseburg
        > ship burial. I have
        > the original finds photos in my books, but the pieces are
        > a jumble and I
        > cannot make out the details. While in the UK recently, I
        > ran across several
        > of these being demonstrated by the various groups over
        > there, but no one
        > had the documentation. I took measurements and photos of
        > these, but that is
        > still not documentation.
        >
        > Have there been any other archaeological (or museum)
        > finds of other period
        > tablet looms that anyone is aware of?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Beth of Walnutvale (mka Beth Matney)

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tiffany Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          Pop over to the "SCA-Card-Weaving" Yahoogroup and peruse the archives.
          I know the topic has been discussed, references given, etc several
          times. Don't forget to check the files areas of the group in case
          someone has collated the information into one file.

          I have a minature copy of this (cobbled together from an embroidery
          frame stand) and find it much more comfortable for the back to work
          with. The only pesky bit about my minature copy is that it is only
          one metre long (osenberg is about 2m), so I need to move the warp
          along more frequently than I'd prefer. (then again 1m long is
          transportable behind the driver's seat of my car, with the feet taken
          off)

          Teffania

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
            >Pop over to the "SCA-Card-Weaving" Yahoogroup and peruse the archives.
            > I know the topic has been discussed, references given, etc several
            >times. Don't forget to check the files areas of the group in case
            >someone has collated the information into one file.
            *snip*
            >Teffania

            Thanks for the tip. I'll check out their archives and files. It's been very frustrating not finding any documentation.

            The ones that I saw in the UK disassembled very neatly with a peg at each end. The only long board was the stretcher at the bottom.

            Beth
          • Beth and Bob Matney
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
              >Pop over to the "SCA-Card-Weaving" Yahoogroup and peruse the archives.

              *snip*

              Again, thanks.

              I found the reconstructions at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Card-Weaving/files/Oseberg%20Band%20Loom/

              from searching the messages, I think that they were from
              "Osebergfundet II" (Oslo: Den Norske Stat, 1928), Planche XIII.

              I'll have to Interlibrary loan that (if I can).

              Beth