silk bedcovering (coverlet)

  • ~Angelique
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
      Good Evening,

      I'd love to surprise my husband and make a quilted coverlet for our reenactment bed. What sort of silk is appropriate? I'm using wool batting should I use silk or wool thread for the quilting?

      Bless you,

      Angelique

    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
        In the groups archives, message #40710 deals with an overview of quilting in
        period and was posted by Sarah Davies (who I am certain would talk your ear
        off on the topic if allowed *grin*). There is a link to this message in the
        links section under "Bedding". There is also in the links section under the
        file "Bedding", a link to some Sicilian trapunto quilts from the 1390's.
        Bedcoverings is not something on which I'm particularly knowledgable but
        your questions are good and I'm looking forward to seeing what people have
        for answers around here.
        Smiles,
        Despina de la ought to make those linen sheets someday soon too......

      • kittencat3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
          *grin* The best sources for late period bedding information are a couple of books by Peter Thornton on, respectively, Italian Renaissance bedrooms and 16th/17th century interiors. Have fun!

          Sarah

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
            Sarah, would you add those to the reading list we have for the group? At the
            group's homesite at yahoogroups, it's under the "Database" on the left and
            called "Reading list".
            You can do a preliminary entry if you don't have all of the information on
            the books one you at the moment. There is a subject heading of "Daily Life"
            or you can make a new heading for "Bedding" if you think it more
            appropriate.
            Smiles,
            Despina de la had forgotten about that feature until just now - add more
            books, folks

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              Done. Thanks for the tip!

              Sarah