Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Interesting hat

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
      Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really* scared
      the heck out of him.

      :D

      Sarah Davies

    • Marion McNealy
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
        wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
        <snipage>

        Anybody know where this painting came from? What country? Who painted
        it? What saint is being arrested? The URL doesn't really give any
        clues.

        Jehanne de Wodeford

        After doing a little searching in REALonline, I found it.

        Its

        Gefangenenbefreiung durch den Hl. Leonhard
        Dieses Bild: 000203

        Kunstwerk: Tafelmalerei-Holz ; Flügelaltar ; Oberösterreich
        Dokumentation: 1490 ; 1500 ; Kremsmünster ; Österreich ; Oberösterreich ; Stiftsgalerie
        http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG

        Translation

        The release of St. Leonhard, wing panel of an alter in Austria, documented to 1490-1500.

        In the catalog description for the man on the left, he is noted as having a fur hat. Fur hats were certainly allowed for all classes, but certain furs were restricted for upper classes only.

        There is no way to give a direct link to the picture record, but the picture number is 000203. Here's the link to a help guide I wrote for it that you can use to navigate to the picture record.

        http://www.curiousfrau.com/Tools/REALonline_help.htm

        -Marion

        www.curiousfrau.com

      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
          >...Is the man seated on the left wearing a fur hat?
          >http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG
          >
          >In service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
          > (Friend) Honour horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
          > Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.
          > -(AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict)

          A thrummed hat crossed my mind.
          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
            > A thrummed hat crossed my mind.

            Okay, I know fulling, I know felting. What is thrumming?

            Isabeau
          • RON CARNEGIE
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
              Thrum is apparently left over bits of wool in the loom, I don't know I don't weave. A thrummed cap however, long worn by the mariner, is made by making a knit hat, and looping the thrum through it. Sort of like the craft of rug making. Makes for a very warm cap. A search on Google will more likely than not show you thatit is still being done, but today the thrums tend to be worn on the inside!.

              Ranald

              Okay, I know fulling, I know felting. What is thrumming?

              Isabeau

              This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

              Free credit history Credit history score Credit history search

            • Lady_Lark_Azure
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                > Thrum is apparently left over bits of wool in the loom, I don't know
                I don't weave. A thrummed cap however, long worn by the mariner, is
                made by making a knit hat, and looping the thrum through it. Sort of
                like the craft of rug making. Makes for a very warm cap. A search on
                Google will more likely than not show you thatit is still being done,
                but today the thrums tend to be worn on the inside!.

                > Ranald

                AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                Thanks.
              • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                  > AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                  Don't tell anyone, but Ranald had his thrummer before I did...

                  Shhhh

                  Capt Elias
                  Dragonship Haven, East
                  (Stratford, CT, USA)

                  -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                  - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                  There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                  than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                  Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
                  Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
                  To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
                  Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
                  Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
                  Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
                  You stand upon the ravage and behold
                  A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
                  For so appears this fleet majestical,
                  Holding due course to Harfleur.
                  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue
                • RON CARNEGIE
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                    Not by much! If you less picky, or I more selective, it would be reversed!

                    Ranald
                    > AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                    Don't tell anyone, but Ranald had his thrummer before I did...

                    Shhhh

                    Capt Elias
                    Dragonship Haven, East
                    (Stratford, CT, USA)

                    -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                    - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                    There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                    than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                    Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
                    Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
                    To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
                    Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
                    Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
                    Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
                    You stand upon the ravage and behold
                    A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
                    For so appears this fleet majestical,
                    Holding due course to Harfleur.
                    - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue

                    This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                    Free credit history Credit history score Credit history search

                  • byvordhr
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
                      > Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really*
                      scared
                      > the heck out of him.

                      Felted? Could it not be felted or fulled?

                      Saeunn
                    • Marion McNealy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                        Response posted below in line with the thread, as requested by the moderators, after the line ****.

                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
                        > Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really*
                        scared
                        > the heck out of him.

                        Felted? Could it not be felted or fulled?

                        Saeunn

                        Felting or fulling wouldn't give you the long hairs sticking up from the hat.

                        The archivists in Austria, who have access to the original artwork have labeled it as a fur hat, and as we know they did indeed HAVE fur hats from looking at the wardrobe inventories, I don't see why people don't just accept that its more than likely fur.

                        -Marion

                      • byvordhr
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 8, 2005
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marion McNealy <m_mc_nealy@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > Felting or fulling wouldn't give you the long hairs sticking up from
                          the hat.

                          > ... I don't see why people don't just accept that its more than
                          likely fur.

                          For one thing, because the image on the screen doesn't show any hairs
                          sticking up. This is one of the shortcomings of web images. Not all
                          the details of the original are visible, and if you can't see it, it
                          practically speaking, doesn't exist.

                          If hairs are visible, then they must be hairs.

                          Saeunn