Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Interesting hat

  • RON CARNEGIE
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
      My guess would be fur or thrummed wool.

      Ranald de Balinhard
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Marc Carlson
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 4:00 PM
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Interesting hat

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Honour Horne-Jaruk
      <jarukcomp@s...> wrote:
      > (De-lurking)
      > Respected friends:
      > ...Is the man seated on the left wearing a fur hat?
      > http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG

      Could be. Whatever it is, it's sort of weird looking.

      Marc/Diarmaid

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
        Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really* scared
        the heck out of him.

        :D

        Sarah Davies

      • Marion McNealy
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
          wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
          <snipage>

          Anybody know where this painting came from? What country? Who painted
          it? What saint is being arrested? The URL doesn't really give any
          clues.

          Jehanne de Wodeford

          After doing a little searching in REALonline, I found it.

          Its

          Gefangenenbefreiung durch den Hl. Leonhard
          Dieses Bild: 000203

          Kunstwerk: Tafelmalerei-Holz ; Flügelaltar ; Oberösterreich
          Dokumentation: 1490 ; 1500 ; Kremsmünster ; Österreich ; Oberösterreich ; Stiftsgalerie
          http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG

          Translation

          The release of St. Leonhard, wing panel of an alter in Austria, documented to 1490-1500.

          In the catalog description for the man on the left, he is noted as having a fur hat. Fur hats were certainly allowed for all classes, but certain furs were restricted for upper classes only.

          There is no way to give a direct link to the picture record, but the picture number is 000203. Here's the link to a help guide I wrote for it that you can use to navigate to the picture record.

          http://www.curiousfrau.com/Tools/REALonline_help.htm

          -Marion

          www.curiousfrau.com

        • lilinah@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
            >...Is the man seated on the left wearing a fur hat?
            >http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG
            >
            >In service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
            > (Friend) Honour horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
            > Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.
            > -(AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict)

            A thrummed hat crossed my mind.
            --
            Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
            the persona formerly known as Anahita
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
              > A thrummed hat crossed my mind.

              Okay, I know fulling, I know felting. What is thrumming?

              Isabeau
            • RON CARNEGIE
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                Thrum is apparently left over bits of wool in the loom, I don't know I don't weave. A thrummed cap however, long worn by the mariner, is made by making a knit hat, and looping the thrum through it. Sort of like the craft of rug making. Makes for a very warm cap. A search on Google will more likely than not show you thatit is still being done, but today the thrums tend to be worn on the inside!.

                Ranald

                Okay, I know fulling, I know felting. What is thrumming?

                Isabeau

                This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                Free credit history Credit history score Credit history search

              • Lady_Lark_Azure
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                  > Thrum is apparently left over bits of wool in the loom, I don't know
                  I don't weave. A thrummed cap however, long worn by the mariner, is
                  made by making a knit hat, and looping the thrum through it. Sort of
                  like the craft of rug making. Makes for a very warm cap. A search on
                  Google will more likely than not show you thatit is still being done,
                  but today the thrums tend to be worn on the inside!.

                  > Ranald

                  AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                  Thanks.
                • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                    > AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                    Don't tell anyone, but Ranald had his thrummer before I did...

                    Shhhh

                    Capt Elias
                    Dragonship Haven, East
                    (Stratford, CT, USA)

                    -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                    - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                    There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                    than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                    Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
                    Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
                    To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
                    Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
                    Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
                    Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
                    You stand upon the ravage and behold
                    A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
                    For so appears this fleet majestical,
                    Holding due course to Harfleur.
                    - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue
                  • RON CARNEGIE
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                      Not by much! If you less picky, or I more selective, it would be reversed!

                      Ranald
                      > AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                      Don't tell anyone, but Ranald had his thrummer before I did...

                      Shhhh

                      Capt Elias
                      Dragonship Haven, East
                      (Stratford, CT, USA)

                      -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                      - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                      There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                      than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                      Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
                      Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
                      To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
                      Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
                      Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
                      Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
                      You stand upon the ravage and behold
                      A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
                      For so appears this fleet majestical,
                      Holding due course to Harfleur.
                      - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue

                      This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                      Free credit history Credit history score Credit history search

                    • byvordhr
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
                        > Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really*
                        scared
                        > the heck out of him.

                        Felted? Could it not be felted or fulled?

                        Saeunn
                      • Marion McNealy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                          Response posted below in line with the thread, as requested by the moderators, after the line ****.

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
                          > Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really*
                          scared
                          > the heck out of him.

                          Felted? Could it not be felted or fulled?

                          Saeunn

                          Felting or fulling wouldn't give you the long hairs sticking up from the hat.

                          The archivists in Austria, who have access to the original artwork have labeled it as a fur hat, and as we know they did indeed HAVE fur hats from looking at the wardrobe inventories, I don't see why people don't just accept that its more than likely fur.

                          -Marion

                        • byvordhr
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 8, 2005
                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marion McNealy <m_mc_nealy@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > Felting or fulling wouldn't give you the long hairs sticking up from
                            the hat.

                            > ... I don't see why people don't just accept that its more than
                            likely fur.

                            For one thing, because the image on the screen doesn't show any hairs
                            sticking up. This is one of the shortcomings of web images. Not all
                            the details of the original are visible, and if you can't see it, it
                            practically speaking, doesn't exist.

                            If hairs are visible, then they must be hairs.

                            Saeunn