Interesting hat

  • Honour Horne-Jaruk
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2005
      (De-lurking)

      Respected friends:
      ...Is the man seated on the left wearing a fur hat?
      http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG

      In service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
      (Friend) Honour horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
      Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.
      -(AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict)
    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Honour Horne-Jaruk
        <jarukcomp@s...> wrote:
        > (De-lurking)
        > Respected friends:
        > ...Is the man seated on the left wearing a fur hat?
        > http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG

        Could be. Whatever it is, it's sort of weird looking.

        Marc/Diarmaid
      • Katherine Throckmorton
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
          > Respected friends:
          > ...Is the man seated on the left wearing a fur hat?
          > http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG

          It looks to me like all of the men with white headgear are wearing turbans. The man seated on the left is partially in shadow, but I think that the "furriness" on his turban is a poor rendering of the folds on a turban.

          -Katherine

          Every weekend, we gather hundreds of people together, none of whom have had enough sleep.
          -Robin's Unified Theory of SCA Dynamics

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Throckmorton"
            <kthrockmorton@l...> wrote:
            > It looks to me like all of the men with white headgear are wearing
            turbans. The man seated on the left is partially in shadow, but I
            think that the "furriness" on his turban is a poor rendering of the
            folds on a turban.

            With respect, Katherine, I don't buy that. Every single garment in the
            painting with folds and wrinkles is rendered to show folds, drape and
            wrinkles. Why would the painter be unable to do the same for a turban
            in shadow, especially given the details of the shadowed saint's arm?

            Anybody know where this painting came from? What country? Who painted
            it? What saint is being arrested? The URL doesn't really give any
            clues.

            Jehanne de Wodeford
          • RON CARNEGIE
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
              My guess would be fur or thrummed wool.

              Ranald de Balinhard

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
                Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really* scared
                the heck out of him.

                :D

                Sarah Davies

              • Marion McNealy
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
                  wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                  <snipage>

                  Anybody know where this painting came from? What country? Who painted
                  it? What saint is being arrested? The URL doesn't really give any
                  clues.

                  Jehanne de Wodeford

                  After doing a little searching in REALonline, I found it.

                  Its

                  Gefangenenbefreiung durch den Hl. Leonhard
                  Dieses Bild: 000203

                  Kunstwerk: Tafelmalerei-Holz ; Flügelaltar ; Oberösterreich
                  Dokumentation: 1490 ; 1500 ; Kremsmünster ; Österreich ; Oberösterreich ; Stiftsgalerie
                  http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG

                  Translation

                  The release of St. Leonhard, wing panel of an alter in Austria, documented to 1490-1500.

                  In the catalog description for the man on the left, he is noted as having a fur hat. Fur hats were certainly allowed for all classes, but certain furs were restricted for upper classes only.

                  There is no way to give a direct link to the picture record, but the picture number is 000203. Here's the link to a help guide I wrote for it that you can use to navigate to the picture record.

                  http://www.curiousfrau.com/Tools/REALonline_help.htm

                  -Marion

                  www.curiousfrau.com

                • lilinah@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                    >...Is the man seated on the left wearing a fur hat?
                    >http://www.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7000116.JPG
                    >
                    >In service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
                    > (Friend) Honour horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
                    > Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.
                    > -(AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict)

                    A thrummed hat crossed my mind.
                    --
                    Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                    the persona formerly known as Anahita
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                      > A thrummed hat crossed my mind.

                      Okay, I know fulling, I know felting. What is thrumming?

                      Isabeau
                    • RON CARNEGIE
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                        Thrum is apparently left over bits of wool in the loom, I don't know I don't weave. A thrummed cap however, long worn by the mariner, is made by making a knit hat, and looping the thrum through it. Sort of like the craft of rug making. Makes for a very warm cap. A search on Google will more likely than not show you thatit is still being done, but today the thrums tend to be worn on the inside!.

                        Ranald

                        Okay, I know fulling, I know felting. What is thrumming?

                        Isabeau

                        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                        Free credit history Credit history score Credit history search

                      • Lady_Lark_Azure
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                          > Thrum is apparently left over bits of wool in the loom, I don't know
                          I don't weave. A thrummed cap however, long worn by the mariner, is
                          made by making a knit hat, and looping the thrum through it. Sort of
                          like the craft of rug making. Makes for a very warm cap. A search on
                          Google will more likely than not show you thatit is still being done,
                          but today the thrums tend to be worn on the inside!.

                          > Ranald

                          AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                          Thanks.
                        • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                            > AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                            Don't tell anyone, but Ranald had his thrummer before I did...

                            Shhhh

                            Capt Elias
                            Dragonship Haven, East
                            (Stratford, CT, USA)

                            -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                            - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                            There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                            than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                            Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
                            Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
                            To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
                            Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
                            Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
                            Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
                            You stand upon the ravage and behold
                            A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
                            For so appears this fleet majestical,
                            Holding due course to Harfleur.
                            - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue
                          • RON CARNEGIE
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                              Not by much! If you less picky, or I more selective, it would be reversed!

                              Ranald
                              > AAHHHHHH! So that's how Elias' cool funky hat was made!

                              Don't tell anyone, but Ranald had his thrummer before I did...

                              Shhhh

                              Capt Elias
                              Dragonship Haven, East
                              (Stratford, CT, USA)

                              -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                              - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                              There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                              than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                              Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
                              Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
                              To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
                              Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
                              Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
                              Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
                              You stand upon the ravage and behold
                              A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
                              For so appears this fleet majestical,
                              Holding due course to Harfleur.
                              - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue

                              This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                              Free credit history Credit history score Credit history search

                            • byvordhr
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
                                > Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really*
                                scared
                                > the heck out of him.

                                Felted? Could it not be felted or fulled?

                                Saeunn
                              • Marion McNealy
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                                  Response posted below in line with the thread, as requested by the moderators, after the line ****.

                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
                                  > Looks like sheepskin or fur to me. Either that, or someone *really*
                                  scared
                                  > the heck out of him.

                                  Felted? Could it not be felted or fulled?

                                  Saeunn

                                  Felting or fulling wouldn't give you the long hairs sticking up from the hat.

                                  The archivists in Austria, who have access to the original artwork have labeled it as a fur hat, and as we know they did indeed HAVE fur hats from looking at the wardrobe inventories, I don't see why people don't just accept that its more than likely fur.

                                  -Marion

                                • byvordhr
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 8, 2005
                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marion McNealy <m_mc_nealy@y...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Felting or fulling wouldn't give you the long hairs sticking up from
                                    the hat.

                                    > ... I don't see why people don't just accept that its more than
                                    likely fur.

                                    For one thing, because the image on the screen doesn't show any hairs
                                    sticking up. This is one of the shortcomings of web images. Not all
                                    the details of the original are visible, and if you can't see it, it
                                    practically speaking, doesn't exist.

                                    If hairs are visible, then they must be hairs.

                                    Saeunn