Re: [Authentic_SCA] safflower was onionskin dyeing

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 4, 2005
      ranvaig wrote:
      >Safflower is a poor substitute for saffron in cooking, but Safflower
      >is a period dye in its own right. It contains both a yellow and a
      >red pigment and was usually processed to obtain the red dye. I've
      >seen comments that it is not entirely lightfast, but I'm not sure if
      >that is the red or the yellow. It also has been used as a cosmetic
      >and food color.

      Do you have any more info on safflower's use in cosmetics? I'm
      especially interested in Southwest Asia (aka Middle East), South
      Asia, and Central Asia.
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 4, 2005
        Neither of the safflower dyes is lightfast. And it is a tremendous bother to
        process out the yellow dye to get the pink, especially when brazilwood
        produces just about the same shades and is much more convenient to use.

        Sarah Davies

      • dona_violante
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 6, 2005
          > Neither of the safflower dyes is lightfast. And it is a tremendous
          bother to
          > process out the yellow dye to get the pink, especially when
          brazilwood
          > produces just about the same shades and is much more convenient to
          use.

          Yeah but...it sounds like such fun to try!

          http://reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/safflower.html

          It's on my dyeing to-do list. But then, so are a lot of other
          dyes! ;)

          Cheers,
          Violante
          http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm