Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: belts

  • Tiffany Brown
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
      Just a quick note - it's after my bedtime.

      Tabletweaving makes very versatile and tough belts in a technique that
      is easy to add elaboration (during production or after) too. I
      suspect this is what makes them very popular. I think I can find half
      a dozen extant examples in my tiny reference library. I find even a
      simple tabletwoven belt far suprerior to any cloth belt, especially
      for stiffness and grip to the garment underneath. Generally silk is
      used (ordinary grade wool is not very suitable) some linen, a handful
      wool - most reflect rich folk easily able to afford silk.

      I've seen a few 12th french scupltures (I don't look much at other
      periods) and a few manuscript drawings that are a bit more vaugue,
      that look to be plaited rope belts.

      The priest's ceremonial belt - cingulum was often preserved, so we
      have lots of extant ones, often very heavily decorated. A number are
      made from cloth, heavily embroidered. I think all the ones I've seen
      were silk fabric (when you can afford it get the best) although linen
      could be possible if the embroidery completely covered it. I don't
      know if this sort of useage transfers to non-clerical useage. Several
      of the cingula are probably quite stiff from the ammount of emboidery
      (often goldwork).

      Teffania

      On 9/3/05, Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...> wrote:
      > > Pg 35: "Girdles and various other types of belt were from leather or
      > > were woven (usually by manipulating a pack of tablets) from threads
      > > of silk, linen or worsted." There are some photos of the 'webbing'
      > > style you refer to on pg. 48. These are tablet-woven.
      >
      > Thank you! (I hate it when I hallucinate sources)
      >
      > Marc/Diarmaid
      > (I'm currently trying to track down a Victorian drawing of a shoe that
      > I *know* is in this stupid book, but it doesn't want to give it up...)

    • sismith42
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 7, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Carlson" <marccarlson20@h
        ...> wrote:
        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...>
        wrote:
        > > ...Heck, if we *did* decide to limit ourselves to archaology to
        > > answer the question of "did they weave belts or not?", well:...
        >
        > Shhh! I'm trying to make a point :)

        Ah, so my snide little "see page one of a Google search for the
        obvious topic" comment wasn't pointed enough? ;-)

        Stephanie/Estevana
      • Marc Carlson
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 7, 2005
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...> wrote:
          >> Shhh! I'm trying to make a point :)
          > Ah, so my snide little "see page one of a Google search for the
          > obvious topic" comment wasn't pointed enough? ;-)

          No, it was fine, for this specific topic (i.e. "look here to support
          your position"). The point I was aiming for was a little broader
          ("just because something is logically valid doesn't make it true").

          Ah well, maybe next time :)

          Marc/Diarmaid
        • michaelstuartgraham
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 18, 2005
            -Hi, All. If I might weigh in on this subject, as one who wears
            garters regularly with my 16th/17th Cent kit, garters are intended to
            be tied above the calf and below the knee to hold up the hose. Wool
            being slightly springy, it allows the garters to hold up the hose
            without being too constrictive, sort of a period version of elastic.
            To use the same analogy, we do have modern belts and trousers
            (sansabelts) that do the same thing, but on the whole, belts for the
            waist are generally made to be rigid rather than elastic, so as to
            hold up the stuff they were meant to carry (purse, knife, etc.)and so
            are made of leather or some other material that has some support. Mike T.