the project you want - slightly OT

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2 8:07 AM
      There's one for all of us, I think. The project that you want to make, that
      you know you could make and it would be within your budget and your skills.
      The problem is you just can't justify it for your persona and thus, it would
      be beautiful, but you'd never use it so rather than have it sit unused, you
      haven't made it.
      Here is your opportunity to make that project and it would be used by
      someone who has need and would appreciate it.
      Make your project and send it to our SCA friends who have lost all in the
      hurricane. They have need of immediate and normal things; however, they will
      have need of the things they once owned to play our game when they get to a
      point where they begin to feel normal. The Coronation of the first Monarchs
      of Gleann Abhann will still be taking place. No one is certain where it will
      be happening but it will be happening within a short span of it's original
      scheduled date (October 1). Wouldn't it be nice for those who wish to and
      will be attending this event to be able to do so in clothing appropriate for
      the occasion? To have accoutrement appropriate for the people of the times
      we portray?
      It might be a shirt, perhaps a dress, maybe a pair of gloves, a bag,
      stockings, a belt, or some earrings; perhaps you do pottery, maybe wooden
      plates or bowl or utensils; if leatherwork, maybe archer's arm braces or
      boots; perhaps a small collapsable footstool or a pillow on which to sit. Is
      there a piece in your kit that you would be heartbroken if it were lost
      because you find yourself needing it at every event? Perhaps you could make
      a duplicate to send South.
      If it comes from those people on this list, the objects are sure to be
      beautiful and accurate and I am certain that they will be appreciated.
      This is a post from Despina the person, not Despina the moderator and if
      anyone has problems with the content and/or it's relevance to the list,
      please take it up with either myself or the other moderators and I will be
      delt with.
      As to where to send items for those in need, please see below:
      Lady Ankara is coordinating care packages for SCAdians affected by this
      disaster. The Heirs to the thrones of Gleann Abhann, Radu and Brionfinn, are
      temporarily living near her and are checking in regularly with her as well
      to check emails and coordinate events.

      They need everything from immediate mundane needs such as toothbrushes,
      toothpaste, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, toilet paper, bottled
      water, canned food, sun showers, tents, clothing, shoes, hats, insect
      repellent, pet food, sunscreen, flashlights, batteries, etc...

      ...to SCA stuff like garb, feast gear, banners, boxes, pillows, camping
      equipment, armor, banners, etc. Everything for coronation was in the back of

      a truck which is for sure under water and may be completely gone...thrones,
      crowns, banners, kneeling pillows, regalia, etc...

      Send things to her at:

      Valerie Fleig
      1957 Loyd Street
      Pearl, MS 39208
      sisterv@...

      ------

      >From the Queen of Meridies:

      I am...heading up a disaster relief effort in Meridies.

      By this weekend we will have a website up which will outline ideas where
      people all over the world can help us out. In addition, we have one of our
      local barons, Borgar who will be stockpiling supplies. I have two different
      trucks scheduled to go down there as soon as we have stuff to send. We will
      have a bank account set up very soon with PayPal access...

      Much more.

      I will post the URL here for your reference.

      One of the things I'm hoping to do is what you're hoping to do. I'm trying
      to do long-term fundraisers. We will accept garb as a personal donation or
      as an auction piece and use the money, whichever you feel like doing.

      Please look for our website to be out very soon.

      It will also be linked off of Meridies.org <http://meridies.org/>.

      Thank you,
      Lethrenn, Queen of Meridies
      http://maxandlethrenn.org/hurricane_relief/

      It's bare bones at the moment and paypal isn't up yet, but the forums are up
      and folks can register for updates/emails.
      Thank you all so much for your continued concern and support
      Gwen

      Stacy Hall-Goodwin
      Research Assistant Department of Microbiology
      University of Alabama-Birmingham
      shall920@...

    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2 8:27 AM
        Quoting Amy Heilveil <amyheilveil@...>:

        *snippage*

        > They need everything from immediate mundane needs such as toothbrushes,
        > toothpaste, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, toilet paper, bottled
        > water, canned food, sun showers, tents, clothing, shoes, hats, insect
        > repellent, pet food, sunscreen, flashlights, batteries, etc...

        Am I mistaken (the mind is just overwhelmed!) or is there a baby in the
        house? That would add diapers to the list.

        Jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • aheilvei
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2 8:38 AM
          > Am I mistaken (the mind is just overwhelmed!) or is there a baby in
          the
          > house? That would add diapers to the list.

          The Heirs do have a baby and diapers are evidently about as scarce as
          bottled water right now down there (keep this in mind if sending
          general relief packages as well). The Heirs baby is in about 2month
          old's size diapers, I am told. Her Excellency has said that they
          have baby clothes coming so that is not a worry.

          If you wish to send diapers, wipes or things of that nature to the
          Heirs for baby's needs it is recommended they be sent to His
          Excellency's squire's house as they will get them faster. Please
          contact me off-list for that address.

          Further, His Excellency is going to be difficult to get modern
          clothing for from relief efforts, due to his size, "he is 6'9" and
          325. He takes a 3XLT shirt and a 44/38 pant (but he mostly wears
          shorts and Hawaiian shirts)." Again, if you wish to send these items
          specifically for His Excellency, contact me off-list and I will give
          you the address of his squire for this purpose.

          Thank you for patience on this issue,

          Smiles,
          Despina de la can't imagine