Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: belts

  • Cynthia J Ley
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
      > BTW, am I hallucinating about there being one in Dress Accesories?
      > know I've seen a picture of one that's a plan simple tablet woven
      > band
      > that looks a lot like the nylon webbing belts I wore in the Army.
      >
      > Marc/Diarmaid

      Pg 35: "Girdles and various other types of belt were from leather or were
      woven (usually by manipulating a pack of tablets) from threads of silk,
      linen or worsted." There are some photos of the 'webbing' style you
      refer to on pg. 48. These are tablet-woven.

      Arlys
    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...> wrote:
        > Pg 35: "Girdles and various other types of belt were from leather or
        > were woven (usually by manipulating a pack of tablets) from threads
        > of silk, linen or worsted." There are some photos of the 'webbing'
        > style you refer to on pg. 48. These are tablet-woven.

        Thank you! (I hate it when I hallucinate sources)

        Marc/Diarmaid
        (I'm currently trying to track down a Victorian drawing of a shoe that
        I *know* is in this stupid book, but it doesn't want to give it up...)
      • Tiffany Brown
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 2, 2005
          Just a quick note - it's after my bedtime.

          Tabletweaving makes very versatile and tough belts in a technique that
          is easy to add elaboration (during production or after) too. I
          suspect this is what makes them very popular. I think I can find half
          a dozen extant examples in my tiny reference library. I find even a
          simple tabletwoven belt far suprerior to any cloth belt, especially
          for stiffness and grip to the garment underneath. Generally silk is
          used (ordinary grade wool is not very suitable) some linen, a handful
          wool - most reflect rich folk easily able to afford silk.

          I've seen a few 12th french scupltures (I don't look much at other
          periods) and a few manuscript drawings that are a bit more vaugue,
          that look to be plaited rope belts.

          The priest's ceremonial belt - cingulum was often preserved, so we
          have lots of extant ones, often very heavily decorated. A number are
          made from cloth, heavily embroidered. I think all the ones I've seen
          were silk fabric (when you can afford it get the best) although linen
          could be possible if the embroidery completely covered it. I don't
          know if this sort of useage transfers to non-clerical useage. Several
          of the cingula are probably quite stiff from the ammount of emboidery
          (often goldwork).

          Teffania

          On 9/3/05, Marc Carlson <marccarlson20@...> wrote:
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...> wrote:
          > > Pg 35: "Girdles and various other types of belt were from leather or
          > > were woven (usually by manipulating a pack of tablets) from threads
          > > of silk, linen or worsted." There are some photos of the 'webbing'
          > > style you refer to on pg. 48. These are tablet-woven.
          >
          > Thank you! (I hate it when I hallucinate sources)
          >
          > Marc/Diarmaid
          > (I'm currently trying to track down a Victorian drawing of a shoe that
          > I *know* is in this stupid book, but it doesn't want to give it up...)

        • sismith42
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 7, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Carlson" <marccarlson20@h
            ...> wrote:
            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...>
            wrote:
            > > ...Heck, if we *did* decide to limit ourselves to archaology to
            > > answer the question of "did they weave belts or not?", well:...
            >
            > Shhh! I'm trying to make a point :)

            Ah, so my snide little "see page one of a Google search for the
            obvious topic" comment wasn't pointed enough? ;-)

            Stephanie/Estevana
          • Marc Carlson
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 7, 2005
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...> wrote:
              >> Shhh! I'm trying to make a point :)
              > Ah, so my snide little "see page one of a Google search for the
              > obvious topic" comment wasn't pointed enough? ;-)

              No, it was fine, for this specific topic (i.e. "look here to support
              your position"). The point I was aiming for was a little broader
              ("just because something is logically valid doesn't make it true").

              Ah well, maybe next time :)

              Marc/Diarmaid
            • michaelstuartgraham
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 18, 2005
                -Hi, All. If I might weigh in on this subject, as one who wears
                garters regularly with my 16th/17th Cent kit, garters are intended to
                be tied above the calf and below the knee to hold up the hose. Wool
                being slightly springy, it allows the garters to hold up the hose
                without being too constrictive, sort of a period version of elastic.
                To use the same analogy, we do have modern belts and trousers
                (sansabelts) that do the same thing, but on the whole, belts for the
                waist are generally made to be rigid rather than elastic, so as to
                hold up the stuff they were meant to carry (purse, knife, etc.)and so
                are made of leather or some other material that has some support. Mike T.