Re: [Authentic_SCA] turmeric...

  • femme delyon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hi all,

      Interestingly enough this discussion came up just after I had been to Artesia,the local Little India,to buy clothes and whatever else was a good price.This happened to be a 1/2 pound jar of turmeric which was, like, 3 dollars. I was anxious to try this as a dye since it was so cheap and so bright. So I test dyed a strip of linen in about two cups of water with 1 level teaspoon of turmeric. I used hot water and left it in there for about two hours and then rinsed the fabric out 'til it stopped running yellow. It was a brilliant golden yellow. After the comments about this dye's light sensitivity I made a point to leave it on my kitchen table in the sun to see what happened. It's been there for about two weeks now and has faded ever so slightly but is still very bright in color. I am looking forward to dyeing more fabric and making a half red ,half yellow cotehardie.Yes, it will be bright but why make garb if it can't be cool and period and flashy?

      yours,

      Johanna

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
        Was it in *direct* sunlight, not filtered by a window? Because that's the
        worst.

        Sarah Davies

      • femme delyon
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
          Hi all,

          Was it in *direct* sunlight, not filtered by a window? Because that's
          the
          worst...

          It was filtered by a window but it has been there 24-7 for the past, now, about three weeks and has remained color fast enough that I feel confident in using it for the purpose I have in mind. I know it may fade some but will be interested to see esactly what happens.
          respectfully yours,
          Johanna

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
            I hope it works, then...but do be careful in direct sunlight. And enjoy the
            color - it's very bright and pretty, no? :)

            Sarah