RE: [Authentic_SCA] Critters in tents?

  • Giovanna d'Este
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29 6:34 PM
      The only critter I ever had problems with with entering uninvited was a four
      year old child who untied, one by one, the ties of the overlap door on our
      wedge tent at a Revolutionary War encampment, where my then-fiance and I
      were, er, quietly but passionately celebrating our reunion after three
      months apart, with the immortal words, "Hey, Mommy, what's in here?"

      We were and are careful not to keep garbage in the tent and keep our dry
      goods sealed in plastic so they didn't give off any interesting odors. The
      more advanced wildlife (raccoons and such) tended to investigate and get
      into anything outside that smelled good. The tent, as long as it had no
      delicious food/garbage smells, wasn't worth checking out. Memorably, at one
      event their toll was a dozen roasting ears our neighbor had left soaking in
      a tub and a pack of cigarettes my husband incautiously left on the table
      under our fly, which led my husband to say that it must have been pretty
      good corn if they needed a smoke afterwards....

      Panther Primitives offers the option of a "sod cloth" on their wedge tents,
      which we always got. It's a ten-inch turn in on the walls and doors. Turn it
      to the inside, overlap it with an inner floor cloth, and there you are. It's
      not a hermetic seal, but if you have an issue with the occasional fly
      passing through the tent, you really should be in a hotel...this is camping,
      after all.

      Al vostro servizio,
      Signora Giovanna d'Este

      Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
      dancetty Or.

      "Numquam Succumbe"