Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Describe your SCA bed/bed clothes?

  • Kevin Myers
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 23, 2005
      Madainn Mhath!

      In the Crith Gabhlach, which is an Irish law tract from possibly as
      early as th 7th or 8th centuries, they list quite extensively the
      household gear of most social ranks of Irish society. Beds are listed
      as required furniture for the highest commoner ranks (Bo Aire) and
      lowest noble ranks (Aire Deso)(had to have 8 beds in their house of 27'
      diameter). I'm sure that in 14th century Dublin people were sleeping on
      beds of at least norwegian or anglo-norman design (four post, slat beds
      like those found in the Gokstad ship-burial) Dublin, remember was a
      trading hub for the Scandinavian trading empire that existed on the
      western seaboard of Britain (Scotland, & Man) (and included many
      coastal ports in Ireland up to the 11th century) up through the late
      13th century. Their influence is still felt today in many places. Go to
      the Isle of Man and attend the Tynwald...

      I would look up volume IV of the "Ancient Laws of Ireland" translated
      and edited by O'Curry (If I remember correctly). Also, Fergus Kelly and
      others have put together a more recent work collectively called the
      "Early Irish Law series". "A Guide to Early Irish Law" by Fergus Kelly.
      D.A. Binchy produced a benchmark work on Irish laws back in the
      60's(?)...whose title I have forgotten.
      O'Curry's work is the 19th century translation and is sometimes kinda
      obtuse but gives the best detail of the Crith Gablach.

      So, beds in early period, beds in late period. Remember that Dublin
      became the center of the Anglo-Norman "Pale" sometime after the 1150's.

      Slainte!
      -Cainnech Ruad

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs