14th Century English Mead Recipe

  • Kirrily Skud Robert
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 3:27 AM
      Megge wrote:

      þat .4. galons of water and hete þat water til it be as
      >> ?? 4 gallons of water and heat ?? water until it is

      "that", in both cases

      lengh þanne dissolue þe hony in þe water. thanne set hem
      >> (something about dissolving the honey in the water). Then set them

      then dissolve the honey in they water

      any fylthe rysith þer on. and þanne tak it doun of þe fier
      >> any ?? riseth there on. And ?? Take it (away) from the fire

      filth, then.

      and let it kole in oþer vessell til it be as kold as melk
      >> and let it cool in ?? vessel until it is as cold as milk

      (an)other vessel

      þu put þy berme in that þe water with þe hony be put
      >> ????????? in that the water with the honey be put

      thou put thy berme in the water with the honey...
      (is berme the yeast? I don't brew, but I'm guessing)

      in a fayr stonde & þane put in þy berme or eft þy
      >> ?????????

      in a fair stand, and then put in thy berme or else thy drestis
      (but I still don't know what berme or drestis are).

      drestis for þat is best & stere wel togedre and ley straw
      >> ????? for that is best and stir well together and ???
      or eft clothis abowte þe vessel & above gif the þe wedir
      >> (put a cloth over the vessel??) and ???
      be kold and so let it stande .3. dayes & .3. nyghtis gif
      >> cold and let it stand 3 days and 3 nights
      þe wedir be kold / and gif it be hoot wedir .1. day and
      >> where it is cold and give it hot weather?? one day and
      .1. nyght is a nogh at þe fulle But ever after .1. hour or
      >> one night is enough at the full. But ever after one hour

      lay straw or else cloths about the vessel (and above if the water be
      cold) and so let it stand 3 days and nights if the weather be cold and
      if it be hot weather one day and one night is enough.
      (basically insulating the mead to help keep it warm to ferment, if it's
      cold, and also leaving it longer if the weather's cold)

      .2. at þe moste asay þer of and gif þu wilt have it swete
      >> or two at the most (try it??) and if you will have it sweet

      assay thereof. Yes, try it :)

      make meðe eglyn . tak sauge . ysope . rosmaryn . egre
      >> make meglethyn?, take sage, hyssop?, rosemary, ??

      yes, metheglyn.

      moyne . saxefrage . betayme . centorye . lunarie /hert-
      >> ??, ??., ??, ?? (don't know what any of these are!)

      I'd ask on sca-cooks if I were you.

      is tonge . Tyme / marubium album . herbe jon . of eche of
      >> ?? Thyme, ?? Herb join each of

      herbe jon could be "john's herb", maybe something like St John's Wort?
      But again ask sca-cooks.

      K.
      (introduction coming soon!)