Re: [Authentic_SCA] Impaired vision

  • Gretchen & Steve Hulett
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
      MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE SNIP YOUR POSTS.

      Going in a totally different direction with this (and in
      no way to
      suggest that anyone "should" do this); why would anyone
      -want- to do this?

      When I deal with the past, what I want to do is to
      understand the
      lives that those people lived, both bad as well as the
      good. I am
      nearsighted (aka short sighted, both terms go back at
      least to the
      early 1600s), but this is correctable with glasses so that
      under
      modern conditions, my vision is not significantly worse
      than anyone
      else's.
    • kerrimart@cablespeed.com,Kerri <kerrimar
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        I am legally blind without my glasses or contacts. They
        are the first thing I reach for before I get out of bed.
        Husband wanted to get me one of those "projecting" alarm
        clocks so I could see.

        If I would have been born in the middle ages, I would have
        either been rich and had people to do it for me, or more
        likely, blind and poor. Even with correction my eyesight
        has gotten worse over the years (slower now that I wear
        contacts). If I go 3-4 hours w/o correction I get one
        hell of a headache from the strain.

        I would not be able to sew, cook effectively, or do much
        besides chase my child (assuming she doesn't go beyond 20
        feet, at which point I wouldn't recognise her in a group).
        Yes, I know visually impared people that do this, but for
        me, not being able to see is a severe frustration point.

        I chose to be visually corrected at events as a necessity
        as much as port-a-pottys are a necessity.

        Vitha the semi-blind

        -----------------------------
        Going in a totally different direction with this (and in
        no way to
        suggest that anyone "should" do this); why would anyone
        -want- to do this?

        When I deal with the past, what I want to do is to
        understand the
        lives that those people lived, both bad as well as the
        good. I am
        nearsighted (aka short sighted, both terms go back at
        least to the
        early 1600s), but this is correctable with glasses so that
        under
        modern conditions, my vision is not significantly worse
        than anyone
        else's.

        -Diarmaid- however, is not that lucky. His visual world is
        determined
        by what he can see, and at events that's further than
        some, but not
        further than others, but beyond about 30 feet there's
        nothing but a
        solid blurry mass. Watching a tourney is meaningless. *I*
        keep track
        of what's going around me by watching at a distance, he
        can't do this
        (and this is the most difficult problem I have going
        without my
        glasses). This gives me a hint of how people like me
        handled the
        world without glasses and respect them more and honor them
        more for
        that. Moreover, I would like to think that it gives me a
        hint of how
        people who don't have the option of putting the glasses
        back on have
        to live.

        Marc/Diarmaid
      • Marc Carlson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kerrimart@c...,Kerri"
          <kerrimart@c...> wrote:...
          > I chose to be visually corrected at events as a necessity
          > as much as port-a-pottys are a necessity.

          Port-a-potties are not a necessity. You -can- have an event without
          them. Are they a good idea for many events, certainly. A
          -necessity-, no (unless it's somehow required by some local ordinance
          or contractual obligation, which actually wouldn't surprise me these
          days).

          Marc/Diarmaid