Re: 13th century sources re: bathing?

  • Marc Lauterbach
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 11:29 PM
      I have read in numerous academic sources (I misremember which
      exactly, but I believe Norman Cantor and others) that basically until
      the black death in the mid 14th century bathing was fairly frequent.
      Granted, it varied greatly upon social status, proximity of water,
      weather, and whatnot. Likewise, these scholars also maintain that the
      level of personal hygene and cleanliness in pre-plague Europe was a
      high water mark that would not be acheived again until the early 19th
      century. However Cantor, while a great scholar, is very opinionated
      and may not be the most reliable source.
      Matthaeus