Re: [Authentic_SCA] hats

  • Tiffany Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      The more modern historical solution is a hat pin. A pin approx
      15-20cm long (shorter is difficult to use) with which you pin the hat
      to your long hair (braided or otherwise styled). I suppose lacking
      hair, a band or coif to pin it to might be desireable. I've played
      frisbee with my hat affixed thusly, with no problems.

      I have no evidence to think such an arrangement is medieval, but if
      you are not seeing strings on hats in pictures (I haven't looked that
      closely), it is at least a possible solution that doesn't use velcro.

      I'm having trouble finding early pictures of straw hats for the 12th
      C. The few I've seen (mostly 13th C I think) are conical (think
      chinese field worker) and worn mostly by men. (Slightly differnt to
      the hats worn by jewish men) There is a distinct lack of shady hats
      on women in 12th C english manuscripts, Maybe a little earlier will
      help. Let us know if you find anything.

      Teffania