Re: opinion question on use dates of period recipes

  • Huette von Ahrens
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      > Message: 4
      > Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:00:53 -0000
      > From: "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn"
      > <malvoisine@...>
      > Subject: Re: opinion question on use dates of period
      > recipes
      >
      > >>much snippage<<
      >

      > > The biggest problem with using works that are so
      > far
      > > out of the SCA time-frame is that in 1651 European
      > > cookery and foodways took a radical change with
      > the
      > > publication of La Varenne. He influenced many
      > changes
      > > in how chefs made and presented foods to their
      > noble
      > > patrons. Most of the cookbooks published after
      > his
      > > seminal work show the shifting from Renaissance
      > > foodways to Early Modern foodways. So you have to
      > be
      > > very careful.
      >
      > I am wondering how much influence La Varenne's
      > cookbook would have
      > had to an everyday or even gentry housewife.

      Depends on how literate that person was. Depends on
      how connected that person was to outside ideas etc.
      That is why I stated "chefs" and "noble patrons". The
      more educated you were the more likely you would be to
      be influenced by outside ideas.

      I am
      > also wondering
      > when it got to Scotland, for sale & available.

      There was a lot of commerce between Scotland and
      France. There even was a Scots Guard to the Courts of
      France, so it is possible that that one of the Guards
      could have sent it home to his wife or mother. La
      Varenne's cookbook was immediately popular and had 30
      editions printed in the 75 years following its initial
      publication in 1651. From what I have read, it was
      influencial in many European countries at that time.

      The
      > recipes I found
      > last night are for a green sauce, an almond custard,
      > orange
      > marmalade, boiled chicken, to cook artichokes, a
      > chicken pie, and
      > capon cooked in lemon. They all have simple
      > ingredients that were
      > available in the 16th century & are filled with the
      > wonderfully
      > vague instructions that are in the 16th century
      > cookery books -
      > 'cook it till it is done', 'cook it enough'
      > 'according to your
      > taste', 'mingle it and beat it well' etc.

      It sounds a lot like what you find in cookbooks
      published in England around 1651.

      > > Would you be willing to share your find with us?
      > > would be interested in seeing this find for
      > myself.
      > Absolutely. I found it last night on SCRAN. Luckily,
      > her handwriting
      > is very clear & I was able to write two of them down
      > easily, but it
      > was past 2am & I had to make myself go to bed
      > (grin). I'll have all
      > of them in vernacular & translated. Obviously, I
      > haven't tried to
      > redact any of them yet! I've written to the National
      > Library of
      > Scotland to find out if any more of the pages are
      > available & if any
      > of them are dated at all. The receipt book spans
      > 1688 to 1715, so
      > obviously, I'd like to focus on the earlier pages.
      > Plus, I'm
      > thinking there's always the possibility that the
      > earlier pages are
      > recipes she already knew well & wanted to write down
      > first, i.e.
      > ones she had learned as a girl, which might put me
      > closer to SCA
      > time period. Now, that's certainly not scientific
      > conclusions, but I
      > know for instance that some of the recipes in Martha
      > Washington's
      > cookbook are almost verbatim from some 16th century
      > receipt books,
      > so clearly, things got passed along sometimes
      > unchanged.

      Yes, they sometimes did. Martha Washington's cookbook
      is a good example. There are others you can find by
      comparing Early American cookbooks with period Dutch
      cookbooks.

      > I'll keep you posted & let the list know when I get
      > the recipes up.
      > I'm sure unlike anyone on this list (grins), I've
      > got about 40
      > projects going right now....

      Thank you!

      Huette

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Carlson"
        <marccarlson20@h...> wrote:
        > This is not nearly as frustrating as Nostrodamus' Shoemaking quatrain
        > in which he explicitly mentions me by name and advises all medieval
        > shoemaking texts be destroyed so I can't reveal them.

        Makiwara has been likewise been thwarted in her quest for information
        on period kites. Damn those Heian era Kite Eating Trees.

        Jehanne