Updated Database!

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
      For those who have some modern skills (mechanic, baby sitter, etc etc)
      I added another section in the barter database.

      And I totally agree with what others have been saying. Just because
      you can't sew, you CAN do other things! And there's some one who needs
      your things! Like Despina and BOgdan and cooking/sewing. Offering to
      be help at a camp is great for someone. Even if you can only cut
      veggies, its that much less that the head cook might have to do :D

      -Elspeth
    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
        Even if you can only cut
        > veggies, its that much less that the head cook might have to do :D

        OMGoodness, you wouldn't believe the joy a cook would have at a
        camping event if a single person walked up and volunteered to do the
        evening meals dishes in exchange for food, or babysitting, or
        embroidery, or sewing, or a new chair, or any number of things. ( "I
        will do your camp dishes from evening meals if you will watch my child
        for two hours Saturday afternoon", "I will do your camp dishes from
        evening meals if you will repair these three seams on my garments
        during the course of this event", and such).

        Honest. I've seen a camp cook who would have probably kissed someone
        to make that offer to him. :)

        Smiles,
        Despina de la 'menial labor' is another set of words for 'things
        someone must do for this event to run well and be fun'
      • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
          Despina said:
          > Honest. I've seen a camp cook who would have probably kissed someone
          > to make that offer to him. :)

          Most undoubtedly being said cook in question, I would have GLADLY fed
          someone for free if they had helped clean up after meals when I was
          cooking for Autocrat's camp at Pennsic.

          In fact, if I know ahead of time for an event, I'm always willing to feed
          someone who'll clean up for me. I like cooking. I'm a Master Cook. Note
          that the title is NOT Master Dish Washer. :-)

          Bogdan
          Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
          Postdoctoral Fellow
          Department of Biological Sciences
          North Dakota State University
          Stevens Hall
          Fargo, ND 58105
          jeffrey.heilveil@...
        • Adele de Maisieres
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
            Amy Heilveil wrote:

            >Even if you can only cut
            >

            >>veggies, its that much less that the head cook might have to do :D
            >>

            >OMGoodness, you wouldn't believe the joy a cook would have at a
            >camping event if a single person walked up and volunteered to do the
            >evening meals dishes in exchange for food, or babysitting, or
            >embroidery, or sewing, or a new chair, or any number of things.

            How about "I will do a share of camp dishes if I get to eat."?

            Should be frickin' compulsory.

            --
            Adele de Maisieres

            -----------------------------
            Habeo metrum - musicamque,
            hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
            -Georgeus Gershwinus
            -----------------------------
          • Lady_Lark_Azure
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
              > Most undoubtedly being said cook in question, I would have GLADLY fed
              > someone for free if they had helped clean up after meals when I was
              > cooking for Autocrat's camp at Pennsic.
              >
              > In fact, if I know ahead of time for an event, I'm always willing to
              feed
              > someone who'll clean up for me. I like cooking. I'm a Master Cook.
              Note
              > that the title is NOT Master Dish Washer. :-)

              I am SO with you on that one. I think my brother has the best
              arrangement in the world. He loves to cook, his wife doesn't. He
              cooks, she does the dishes. <sigh> If only I could get so lucky!

              You know, though, that gives me an idea of how to recruit my cleanup
              crew for our November event.

              Isabeau
            • Melissa
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2005
                > Most undoubtedly being said cook in question, I would have GLADLY fed
                > someone for free if they had helped clean up after meals when I was
                > cooking for Autocrat's camp at Pennsic.
                >
                > In fact, if I know ahead of time for an event, I'm always willing to
                feed
                > someone who'll clean up for me. I like cooking. I'm a Master Cook.
                Note
                > that the title is NOT Master Dish Washer. :-)
                >
                > Bogdan

                Well sir, if we're ever at the same event (us Oregonians/An Tirians
                don't get out to your parts much :D) I will gladly help out in any way
                I can for some of your food (which I've only seen in booklets thus
                far, but my mouth was watering even then)

                -Elspeth