Re: [Authentic_SCA] 14th century hosen

  • Laura Morgan
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
      I am not sure that they made a distinction between fulling and felting...anybody know? I always was under the impression that there were just different degrees of fulling....

      but if you want to heavilly full a woolen object, sometimes it makes it easier to throw some tennis balls into the drier with it to help it along.

      In period, they sometimes fulled ut so much that they were able to raise a nap on the surface of the fabric. way cool!

      the peirod method involved people stomping on it with their bare feet, I believe. so if you want to try the period method, you might want to get some friends involved and ply them with alchohol and some dance music.

      you just need friction, heat, and moisture...
      Laura

      Melissa wrote:

      Felted wool works just as well as a garter as fulled wool, IMHO. I've
      used both, with pretty equivalent results.

      Margaret Northwode, Evangelist of the Holy Fabric Trinity

      Laura Morgan
      with Aubrey & Booga

      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
        If I may, I am new to the list but know a bit about felting/fulling. Felting is the layering of wool roving which is wet and worked wit the hands through several steps into a layer that can be cut and/or shaped. Fulling is taking a woven wool fabric or piece of knitted work and soaking and working until the fibers connect and create more of a single piece rather than a network of yarn or thread. If you have seen the recent series on the History channel being a fuller was considered one of the worst jobs in history. The fulling was done in half barrels of mixed urines and it was stomped with the feet much like grapes. Nasty....but necessary to produce a fabric without drafts.

        Elyn

        Melissa wrote:

        Felted wool works just as well as a garter as fulled wool, IMHO. I've
        used both, with pretty equivalent results.

        Margaret Northwode, Evangelist of the Holy Fabric Trinity

        Laura Morgan
        with Aubrey & Booga

        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        Living history Car history Credit history Used car history Vehicle history Comfort suite at living history farm

      • Dianne and Greg
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
          > you just need friction, heat, and moisture...
          > Laura

          Or some willing children---we made felt as a children's activity at Southern
          Region (EK) Spring War Practice last spring and it was a huge hit!

          Laurensa
        • Tiffany Brown
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
            On 8/1/05, jeffrey.heilveil@... <jeffrey.heilveil@...> wrote:

            > So if you are willing to hunt down documentation for them for their stuff,
            > and provide the documentation for what you want them to make (the latter
            > of which I routinely do when I barter), you should do fine.

            I have seen "two hours of research into the topic of your choice"
            given as a prize for a fighter auction tourney.

            Teffania
          • lilinah@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 2, 2005
              Laura Morgan wrote:
              >I am not sure that they made a distinction between fulling and
              >felting...anybody know? I always was under the impression that
              >there were just different degrees of fulling....

              There is a clear distinction between felting and fulling.

              Felting is done with somewhat cleaned wool, which has been carded to
              align the fibers. The felting process takes essentially raw fiber and
              creates a textile from it.

              Fulling is done to an already created textile - such as weaving,
              knitting, etc. - made of wool yarn.
              --
              Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
              the persona formerly known as Anahita