Re: [Authentic_SCA] Ah, bartering

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
      > So, what does someone with no money and no barterable skills do for an
      > authentic kit? I am capable of making most things myself, it just
      > takes me a very, very long time.

      I think you underestimate the amount of time that people have for things.
      I know a number of people who are VERY interested in doing things
      authentically, like libraries, but don't have the time to hunt down
      documentation for things. People like this must exist in your geographic
      area as well (your personal geography, not that of your persona).

      So if you are willing to hunt down documentation for them for their stuff,
      and provide the documentation for what you want them to make (the latter
      of which I routinely do when I barter), you should do fine.

      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences
      North Dakota State University
      Stevens Hall
      Fargo, ND 58105
      jeffrey.heilveil@...
    • Laura Morgan
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
        Yeah...we live in a town where the town grew up around a very old university. There is no parking associated with the library at all...and no public parking. absolutely none. you have to have some sort of university pass to park anywhere in that district of town. I have gone there several times and just considerred the parking ticket to be the fee for doing my research. But I still hate doing it because, technically you are breaking the law.

        you never know what people's situations are.

        as an aside...I just love how much great documentation is now available on the web. When I think back to when I first got started...okay I'm gonna stop with that thought because I am going to turn into my grandmother "when I was a kid, I had to walk uphill to school both ways in the freezing cold with no shoes..."

        but really...Everyone who has contributed to the wealth now available, THANKYOU!!!

        Laura

        jeffrey.heilveil@... wrote:
        > So, what does someone with no money and no barterable skills do for an
        > authentic kit? I am capable of making most things myself, it just
        > takes me a very, very long time.

        I think you underestimate the amount of time that people have for things.
        I know a number of people who are VERY interested in doing things
        authentically, like libraries, but don't have the time to hunt down
        documentation for things. People like this must exist in your geographic
        area as well (your personal geography, not that of your persona).

        So if you are willing to hunt down documentation for them for their stuff,
        and provide the documentation for what you want them to make (the latter
        of which I routinely do when I barter), you should do fine.

        Bogdan

        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
        Postdoctoral Fellow
        Department of Biological Sciences
        North Dakota State University
        Stevens Hall
        Fargo, ND 58105
        jeffrey.heilveil@...

        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        Living history Car history Credit history Used car history Vehicle history Comfort suite at living history farm

        ---------------------------------

        Laura Morgan
        with Aubrey & Booga

      • Laura Morgan
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
          I am not sure that they made a distinction between fulling and felting...anybody know? I always was under the impression that there were just different degrees of fulling....

          but if you want to heavilly full a woolen object, sometimes it makes it easier to throw some tennis balls into the drier with it to help it along.

          In period, they sometimes fulled ut so much that they were able to raise a nap on the surface of the fabric. way cool!

          the peirod method involved people stomping on it with their bare feet, I believe. so if you want to try the period method, you might want to get some friends involved and ply them with alchohol and some dance music.

          you just need friction, heat, and moisture...
          Laura

          Melissa wrote:

          Felted wool works just as well as a garter as fulled wool, IMHO. I've
          used both, with pretty equivalent results.

          Margaret Northwode, Evangelist of the Holy Fabric Trinity

          Laura Morgan
          with Aubrey & Booga

            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
              > you just need friction, heat, and moisture...
              > Laura

              Or some willing children---we made felt as a children's activity at Southern
              Region (EK) Spring War Practice last spring and it was a huge hit!

              Laurensa
            • Tiffany Brown
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
                On 8/1/05, jeffrey.heilveil@... <jeffrey.heilveil@...> wrote:

                > So if you are willing to hunt down documentation for them for their stuff,
                > and provide the documentation for what you want them to make (the latter
                > of which I routinely do when I barter), you should do fine.

                I have seen "two hours of research into the topic of your choice"
                given as a prize for a fighter auction tourney.

                Teffania
              • lilinah@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Laura Morgan wrote:
                  >I am not sure that they made a distinction between fulling and
                  >felting...anybody know? I always was under the impression that
                  >there were just different degrees of fulling....

                  There is a clear distinction between felting and fulling.

                  Felting is done with somewhat cleaned wool, which has been carded to
                  align the fibers. The felting process takes essentially raw fiber and
                  creates a textile from it.

                  Fulling is done to an already created textile - such as weaving,
                  knitting, etc. - made of wool yarn.
                  --
                  Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                  the persona formerly known as Anahita