Re: Ah, bartering --an idea

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 30, 2005
      There is actually an SCA Barter list...but it's pretty dead. I think
      it's called WARBarter or something of the sort.

      If you made a new one, I would be in on it *snap* that :D I love
      bartering, not only because I get stuff and get practice making stuff,
      but because then you meet new people :D things=relationships that way!

      Elspeth the Social :D

      > ***snip***
      >
      > > How about we create a barter pool for the list? Email me things
      > you'd
      > > like to have/made and what you're willing to barter it for. I'll
      > > create a spread sheet and post it.
      >
      > ***snip***
      >
      > > What do folks think?
      > >
      > > Isabeau
      >
      > Personally, I *love* this idea. I truly appreciate that you are
      > offering your time and resources to create and upkeep it. I wonder
      > though, if there is a way to simply start a new discussion group
      > based upon it, to save you the work? I've never started one, so I
      > don't exactly know the perks and options available, but since there
      > is a 'garb4sale' group, I just thought it might work.... even though
      > I'd much rather have a nice and tidy spreadsheet. :D
      >
      > I hope your mega fundraiser goes well, and that you have a wonderful
      > Pennsic trip (I still haven't made it to one.. but SOMEDAY.. oh yes,
      > someday), because when you get back I'll have a list!! :)
      >
      > L. Keterlyn
    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 30, 2005
        At 12:09 AM +0000 7/31/05, Iolanthe wrote:
        >I think it's a great idea. I'd love to take part, but I don't think
        >I have any
        >skills worth bartering with.

        Keep in mind that skills aren't the only thing that can be bartered
        -- tedious unskilled gruntwork is also a barterable item. Suppose
        someone is interested in an entirely hand-made whatsit but doesn't
        have either the time or patience to hand-whatsit for the necessary
        duration. You might be able to take their materials and whatsit away
        the hours in exchange for them doing something more concentrated in
        time but requiring specialized skills.

        Just as a random example: fingerloop braiding requires relatively
        little skill once you've learned the basics, but it can be tedious,
        especially if you were making enough cordage to lace a gown or tie up
        your points or something similar. It's the sort of product that it
        would be hard to price at what the labor is worth, but might well be
        barterable to someone who valued the end product enough.

        Another random example: handsewing seams and hems. Patience rather
        than skill is the keyword, and it might be fairly easy to find
        someone with the skills to design and cut garments for both of you in
        exchange for unskilled sewing labor, with both of you getting more
        authentic garments out of the bargain.

        Tangwystyl
        --
        *****
        Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 30, 2005
          At 6:12 PM +0000 7/30/05, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:
          >Okay, so here's an idea and I'm willing to do the legwork on it (after
          >How about we create a barter pool for the list? Email me things you'd
          >like to have/made and what you're willing to barter it for. I'll
          >create a spread sheet and post it. That way you can look through what
          >other people can do and see if you can match up. You already know that
          >it's an authentically minded pool of people.

          I suggest, instead of doing it as an excel sheet, you take advantage
          of the existing database function provided to Authentic_SCA by Yahoo
          Groups: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Authentic_SCA/database>

          That way, you won't have to do much maintaining, but instead each
          individual could add and update their own entires. (The work part
          would be to figure out what sorts of fields should be in the database
          to make it most useful. At a minimum I suggest name, contact, &
          location info, what you're willing to do, and what you'd like to
          acquire.)

          Several people have suggested making another mailing list for
          bartering, but I see a lot of disadvantages of such an approach,
          especially if the name and description of it doesn't include the
          "Authentic" concept. I think without it, it could become minefield
          for those with the goal of using barter to acquire more authentic kit.

          Also, just in general if you already have the target audience in a
          mailing list/online group, including a bartering database as a
          feature of that group increases the chance that relevant parties will
          discover it and use it -- while if it is separate, it's more likely
          that many in the target audience won't ever hear of it.

          And it also occurs to me to ask: what would be discussed in the
          mailing list part of a bartering mailing list? Actual bartering
          arrangements should be arranged privately between the two parties
          involved, so you don't need a mailing list for that, just a database
          of potential parties and what they're offering to barter and what
          they'd like to acquire by barter.

          So, as said, I suggest using the Authentic_SCA group's database
          feature to make a bartering database.

          Affrick
          --
          Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
        • ketamina06
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 30, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Iolanthe" <darklyviolet@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > I think it's a great idea. I'd love to take part, but I don't
            think
            > I have any
            > > skills worth bartering with.
            >
            > You just have to be imaginative about what constitutes valuable
            > bartering capital. We've already talked about trading material goods
            > for services. It doesn't necessarily have to be raw materials a
            > craftsman wants, it can be a plate of fudge or a case of beer. Make
            > that good beer.

            Exactly! At an event in Idaho several years ago, the fellow I
            was 'with' and I showed up in our broken down-ish van. On the long
            drive there from SW Washington state, we had an emergency stop for a
            serious engine problem, and basically spent all our money fixing it on
            the way. Not only that, I also sprained my ankle mildly along the way
            (don't jump out of the van Ket, you clutz).

            So, with nothing more than our camping gear and a bit of food, we
            bartered for what we needed... at first I thought I had nothing to
            share and hated the thought of begging for necessary needs (we'd
            brought money for purchased meals; it was a long event and several
            really good food merchants were there and we thought we'd treat
            ourselves).

            Turns out I did of course have things to trade. One was helping to
            teach a class, impromtu, on making Scotch eggs, and of course they
            were a huge hit so many fighters and nobles commissioned the
            delightful meal-in-the-hand as barter. It ended up being one of my
            favourite and most memorable events. :)

            L. Keterlyn, who seems to be in a rambling mood today.
          • Mary Taran
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 30, 2005
              At 06:08 PM 7/30/2005, you wrote:

              >At 12:09 AM +0000 7/31/05, Iolanthe wrote:
              > >I think it's a great idea. I'd love to take part, but I don't think
              > >I have any
              > >skills worth bartering with.

              I'm currently in a barter arrangement with a lady in another Kingdom. I'm
              making her a pavilion and she's paying for the labor by supplying the
              canvas to make my new one at the same time she gets hers. She is
              reimbursing me in cash for the non-canvas bits (hub, spokes, tent stakes,
              etc.), but all of the labor costs are being managed by provision of
              non-cash items.

              Mary

            • m d b
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 31, 2005
                > I only wonder if my skills are worth much to anyone. I'm only a
                > beginning seamstress, and that's my best SCA skill. OTOH, I sew
                > exclusively by hand and could, for example, offer to hand-sew seams
                of
                > a garment someone else drafted and cut. Would that appeal to anyone?
                > (I do tend toward perfectionism, and my stiches are quite small and
                > regular. I think. <smile>)
                > I find the cutting part of sewing completely horrifying--so afraid
                I'm
                > destroying my beautiful fabrics for nothing. The cost of buying nice
                > fabric before being a skilled seamstress, perhaps? :)

                I for one would be happy with that barter:) Hooray!!!

                Heheh, actually I've been thinking about the bartering this before I
                came back to read the list (I read it via the yahoogroups site)
                because I want a lovely cutlery set for my late period Dutch (German
                border) persona. They hang from girdles and can be seen in woodcuts
                and portraits of women, very groovy little talking points.

                But haven't been able to think of what I could barter (possibly a
                portrait in the style of a woodcut by Jost Amman....) But you made me
                realise I do have a skill to barter with: cutting and fitting. I
                *love* drafting, especially with period consruction (I think the most
                modern drafting/draping techniques I use are early 20thC;) )

                I just helped somone with that recently. She made the garb up I fitted
                and gave hints on how to cut the fabric and materials for support etc.

                It was actually a nice lesson as well. There are things I would like
                to have done to make the garb match my ideal, but had to back off
                because I wasn't the one going to wear it or make use of the remaining
                fabric;) My lessons in this were different to hers.

                Willemyne van Nymegen
                http://glittersweet.com
              • Diane Thompson
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 31, 2005
                  If anyone is interested in bartering.....I am Diane Thompson, I own/and operate Blackthistle Designs...I specialize in Celtic Renn and Scottish .....I have been out of business essentially for a bit as my son and I lot everything in a fire in April...I did not however lose anything to do with my business as it was in another building...my son and I now have a home, I was able to rent something, but we have nothing in it,,,,money is a major issue,,my insurance has denied my claim and I have to go through an attorney and sue a Breach of Faith,,,this will possibly take awhile...in the meantime, we need everything and anything and I would be happy to sew, design, embroider, I do custom embroidery hand and/or machine....SCA garb or mundane...if anyone needs anything,,,,please consider us...thanks...

                  Living history Car history Credit history Used car history Vehicle historyComfort suite at living history farm

                  ---------------------------------

                • msgilliandurham
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 31, 2005
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "willo" <willolevin@y...> wrote:
                    > >[...] OTOH, I sew
                    > > exclusively by hand and could, for example, offer to
                    > > hand-sew seams of a garment someone else drafted and cut. Would
                    > > that appeal to anyone?

                    That's a *wonderful* skill, very valuable. Or if you were willing to
                    hand sew trim or hems, those activities would find even more folks
                    interested in your work. Go for it!

                    > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "m d b" <vcairistiona@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > [...] But you made me
                    > realise I do have a skill to barter with: cutting and fitting.
                    > I *love* drafting, especially with period consruction (I think
                    > the most modern drafting/draping techniques I use are early 20thC;

                    Heck, you could barter that skill by making *mundane* clothes for
                    people! or rather the patterns. I am very fussy about the fit of my
                    clothes, and am rather an odd shape. Unhappily we live half-way across
                    the planet from each other ...

                    Gillian Durham
                  • Carmen Beaudry
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 31, 2005
                      > At 12:09 AM +0000 7/31/05, Iolanthe wrote:
                      >>I think it's a great idea. I'd love to take part, but I don't think
                      >>I have any
                      >>skills worth bartering with.
                      >
                      > Keep in mind that skills aren't the only thing that can be bartered
                      > -- tedious unskilled gruntwork is also a barterable item. Suppose
                      > someone is interested in an entirely hand-made whatsit but doesn't
                      > have either the time or patience to hand-whatsit for the necessary
                      > duration. You might be able to take their materials and whatsit away
                      > the hours in exchange for them doing something more concentrated in
                      > time but requiring specialized skills.
                      (snip)

                      > Tangwystyl

                      Don't rule out non-SCA skills for your bartering. I trade sewing with the
                      person who cuts and colors my hair. I've also traded car work for sewing,
                      have a friend who's traded cooking for electrical work, etc.

                      Melusine
                    • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
                        > So, what does someone with no money and no barterable skills do for an
                        > authentic kit? I am capable of making most things myself, it just
                        > takes me a very, very long time.

                        I think you underestimate the amount of time that people have for things.
                        I know a number of people who are VERY interested in doing things
                        authentically, like libraries, but don't have the time to hunt down
                        documentation for things. People like this must exist in your geographic
                        area as well (your personal geography, not that of your persona).

                        So if you are willing to hunt down documentation for them for their stuff,
                        and provide the documentation for what you want them to make (the latter
                        of which I routinely do when I barter), you should do fine.

                        Bogdan

                        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
                        Postdoctoral Fellow
                        Department of Biological Sciences
                        North Dakota State University
                        Stevens Hall
                        Fargo, ND 58105
                        jeffrey.heilveil@...
                      • Laura Morgan
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
                          Yeah...we live in a town where the town grew up around a very old university. There is no parking associated with the library at all...and no public parking. absolutely none. you have to have some sort of university pass to park anywhere in that district of town. I have gone there several times and just considerred the parking ticket to be the fee for doing my research. But I still hate doing it because, technically you are breaking the law.

                          you never know what people's situations are.

                          as an aside...I just love how much great documentation is now available on the web. When I think back to when I first got started...okay I'm gonna stop with that thought because I am going to turn into my grandmother "when I was a kid, I had to walk uphill to school both ways in the freezing cold with no shoes..."

                          but really...Everyone who has contributed to the wealth now available, THANKYOU!!!

                          Laura

                          jeffrey.heilveil@... wrote:
                          > So, what does someone with no money and no barterable skills do for an
                          > authentic kit? I am capable of making most things myself, it just
                          > takes me a very, very long time.

                          I think you underestimate the amount of time that people have for things.
                          I know a number of people who are VERY interested in doing things
                          authentically, like libraries, but don't have the time to hunt down
                          documentation for things. People like this must exist in your geographic
                          area as well (your personal geography, not that of your persona).

                          So if you are willing to hunt down documentation for them for their stuff,
                          and provide the documentation for what you want them to make (the latter
                          of which I routinely do when I barter), you should do fine.

                          Bogdan

                          Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
                          Postdoctoral Fellow
                          Department of Biological Sciences
                          North Dakota State University
                          Stevens Hall
                          Fargo, ND 58105
                          jeffrey.heilveil@...

                          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                          Living history Car history Credit history Used car history Vehicle history Comfort suite at living history farm

                          ---------------------------------

                          Laura Morgan
                          with Aubrey & Booga

                        • Laura Morgan
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
                            I am not sure that they made a distinction between fulling and felting...anybody know? I always was under the impression that there were just different degrees of fulling....

                            but if you want to heavilly full a woolen object, sometimes it makes it easier to throw some tennis balls into the drier with it to help it along.

                            In period, they sometimes fulled ut so much that they were able to raise a nap on the surface of the fabric. way cool!

                            the peirod method involved people stomping on it with their bare feet, I believe. so if you want to try the period method, you might want to get some friends involved and ply them with alchohol and some dance music.

                            you just need friction, heat, and moisture...
                            Laura

                            Melissa wrote:

                            Felted wool works just as well as a garter as fulled wool, IMHO. I've
                            used both, with pretty equivalent results.

                            Margaret Northwode, Evangelist of the Holy Fabric Trinity

                            Laura Morgan
                            with Aubrey & Booga

                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
                                > you just need friction, heat, and moisture...
                                > Laura

                                Or some willing children---we made felt as a children's activity at Southern
                                Region (EK) Spring War Practice last spring and it was a huge hit!

                                Laurensa
                              • Tiffany Brown
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
                                  On 8/1/05, jeffrey.heilveil@... <jeffrey.heilveil@...> wrote:

                                  > So if you are willing to hunt down documentation for them for their stuff,
                                  > and provide the documentation for what you want them to make (the latter
                                  > of which I routinely do when I barter), you should do fine.

                                  I have seen "two hours of research into the topic of your choice"
                                  given as a prize for a fighter auction tourney.

                                  Teffania
                                • lilinah@earthlink.net
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 2, 2005
                                    Laura Morgan wrote:
                                    >I am not sure that they made a distinction between fulling and
                                    >felting...anybody know? I always was under the impression that
                                    >there were just different degrees of fulling....

                                    There is a clear distinction between felting and fulling.

                                    Felting is done with somewhat cleaned wool, which has been carded to
                                    align the fibers. The felting process takes essentially raw fiber and
                                    creates a textile from it.

                                    Fulling is done to an already created textile - such as weaving,
                                    knitting, etc. - made of wool yarn.
                                    --
                                    Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                                    the persona formerly known as Anahita