hats

  • Zenovia Kallipygia
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2005
      Greetings all,

      I have been reading the posts on glasses/sunglasses, sun-avoidance and
      authenticity with interest.

      My eyes are rather light sensitive and always have been, so I wear a
      hat (and sunglasses, truth be told). I have a couple of hats but I'm
      not happy with either. One is a modern fabric hat, brim all around. It
      works well but looks very wrong. The other is a straw hat that looks
      like every other straw hat in the SCA. It has a tendency to catch the
      breeze and take off so I have it tied tight, which is uncomfortable.

      All the info I've seen regarding straw hats is mid- to late-period.
      Does anyone have any suggestions for a more authentic early period hat
      (say, 9th-10th c. Anglo-Saxon or Viking) than the straw hat, or a way
      to modify the straw hat to make it more comfortable (e.g. different
      material for ties, addition of veil on top or under)? Or is this the
      creative part of creative anachronism? :-)

      Thanks in advance,
      Zenovia
    • Steven & Gretchen Hulett
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2005
        I believe you can make a head strap like the ones used for veils and pin
        your straw hat to that so it wont "catch the breeze"
[...]

        Service.

      • Isabell The Wanderer
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          I have one of those generic

          Zenovia Kallipygia <zenasnow@...> wrote:Greetings all,

[...]

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

          Living history Car history Credit history Used car history Vehicle history Comfort suite at living history farm

          ---------------------------------

          Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for never shall we cease to be amused.

        • Tiffany Brown
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
            The more modern historical solution is a hat pin. A pin approx
            15-20cm long (shorter is difficult to use) with which you pin the hat
            to your long hair (braided or otherwise styled). I suppose lacking
            hair, a band or coif to pin it to might be desireable. I've played
            frisbee with my hat affixed thusly, with no problems.

            I have no evidence to think such an arrangement is medieval, but if
            you are not seeing strings on hats in pictures (I haven't looked that
            closely), it is at least a possible solution that doesn't use velcro.

            I'm having trouble finding early pictures of straw hats for the 12th
            C. The few I've seen (mostly 13th C I think) are conical (think
            chinese field worker) and worn mostly by men. (Slightly differnt to
            the hats worn by jewish men) There is a distinct lack of shady hats
            on women in 12th C english manuscripts, Maybe a little earlier will
            help. Let us know if you find anything.

            Teffania