Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Bog Coat

  • caoilte
    Message 1 of 136 , May 1, 2001
      Kass McGann wrote:

      > I have long watched in dismay as "early Celts" run around events wearing
      > plaid cotton flannel versions of this "bog coat". Then I speak to them and
      > through their blue greasepaint, they tell me they are early (pagan) Irish.
      > Um... I've never seen evidence for such a thing worn in Ireland. And if
      > there *is* evidence, as the Irish historical clothing whore that I am, I
      > NEED to know about it. And as for any substantiation for insular "celts"
      > painting themselves blue... I need that too...
      >
      > So when Elisabetta said there was an article in Threads, I just have to have
      > it! More fuel for the fire!

      Blue Irish? NOT! (I'm sure tatoos or paint would tave been mentioned in all those lovely descriptions of all those people we have in the red branch
      and Fennian cycles if it was culturally important). And by the way, Im not even convinced that Picts, who were supposed to be painted, maybe,
      according to some translations, were a celtic people. Certainly their names don't seem particularly Celtic. (I'm still looking for any visual
      evidence of early period Irish stuff, Kass. Nothing earlier than the manuscripts so far. Need a time machine so I can go whap someone over the head
      and throw them in a bog, then remember where I put them for later retrieval, yeah, thats it) Anyhow, Whomp 'em good with a BIG authenticity stick.

      Caoilte
    • ahelou@uclink4.berkeley.edu
      Message 136 of 136 , Oct 10, 2001
        > Stop reading email and get back to that paper!
        >
        > Smiles,
        > Despina

        No, I'm finished, honest! I was done before I went to class this
        morning :-) I am in the computer lab at school, about to print it
        out...good thing, too, since it's due in half an hour.

        Vittoria
        who actually managed *not* to pull an all-nighter for this
        paper...that's a first.