Today in history

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2001
      I thought people would find these particular things interesting.

      Happy Birthday to...
         In 1966 The Society for Creative Anachronism
         In 1966 The Kingdom of the West
         In 1218 Rudolf I, Count of Habsburg, King of the Romans

      On this day...
         St. Philip and St. James' Day
         May Day
         Beltane
         Kalendæ Maiæ in the Roman calendar

      and.....

         In 0474 Massacre of 300 English nobles on Salisbury Plain

      which of course, lead to ......

         In 1654 "Under penalty of death, no Irish man, woman, or child, was to
      let himself, herself, itself be found east of the River Shannon" An Order
      from the Parliament of England

      wonder if that one's been repealed?????

      Despina
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2001
           In 1654 "Under penalty of death, no Irish man, woman, or child, was to
        let himself, herself, itself be found east of the River Shannon" An Order
        from the Parliament of England

        wonder if that one's been repealed?????

        One would imagine yes... as soon as they beheaded old Ollie and stuck his head on a pike where it belonged!

        Kass
      • caoilte
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2001

          Kass McGann wrote:

             In 1654 "Under penalty of death, no Irish man, woman, or child, was to
          let himself, herself, itself be found east of the River Shannon" An Order
          from the Parliament of England wonder if that one's been repealed?????>>>>One would imagine yes... as soon as they beheaded old Ollie and stuck his head on a pike where it belonged! Kass
          On a pike?  It should have been stuffed with garlic and burried at a crossroads.

          Caoilte