Re: brewing thought, was Mead, was....

  • atterlep@cs.com
    Message 1 of 59 , May 1, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sheri_Nielsen@p... wrote:

      > > Every brewing contest I have seen has been judged by modern
      > > standards...but if you use "modern equipment" to obtain these
      > > modern standards, you lose points. Fleh Fleh fleh fleh.
      >
      > In what way is it difficult to meet modern standards without using
      > modern equipment? (other than aging a little longer, and using non-
      > period pre-packaged yeast) Or more precisely, what sort of "modern
      > equipment" are you referring to.
      >
      > The yeast (and maybe an airlock) are the most modern things we use,
      > and I'd humbly say that our mead is 'up to' modern standards.

      If you use period equipment to produce modern mead, then you're
      probably not using the equipment in the same way that period people
      did. So the rules that now exist require period equipment, but then
      they also require you to use that period equipment in non-period
      ways. If you do that, the period equipment that you're using is
      going to waste.

      It's kind of like someone who buys wool fabric and uses a bone needle
      to hand-sew it into a nice tailored suit. They've used period
      materials and methods, but the final result is a modern garment, not
      a period one.

      Fairfax
    • Keri-Lynn Hyman
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 22, 2004
        Pardon me if I'm out of line here. I just joined two days ago. Are we talking about pockets in women's gown specifically or the time period in general? There are a pair of pants in the Patterns of Fashion pg.87 that have sewn in pockets. If I'm off topic I apologize.

        Thyre
        (rhymes with hair )