Re: brewing thought, was Mead, was....

  • rowengr@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 59 , May 1, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., ladymorwenna@y... wrote:
      > > (An uncooked egg is a period hydrometer, raisins work as yeast
      > > nutrient)
      > >
      > > Curious,
      > > Megge
      >
      > Speaking of raisins and yeast, I have had great success with Digby's
      > Stepponi (as taught to me by Master Aquel of Darksted Wood) at
      Pennsic.
      > It uses the natural yeast on the raisins to ferment.
      >
      > In brief, take a container that holds more than a gallon. put in a
      > pound of raisins, half a pound of sugar and the juice and peel of 2
      > lemons. Pour a gallon of boiling water over them. Cover with a cloth
      > and let it sit for about 24 hours in temperatures over 90 degrees F.
      >
      > Strain into a pitcher. Don't put into a sealed container as the
      > fermentation continues. Stepponi is smooth, sweet, and deceptively
      > alcoholic, so be careful. If you haven't managed to finish it in 3
      > days, pour it out! It turns into paint stripper after that.
      >
      > Abigail/Morwenna
      >
      > PS Abigail knows that Digby is post-period. Morwenna only knows what
      > Aquel taught her about brewing.

      Sounds like a good drink to make for a summer tourney. Or at a summer
      tourney. <g>

      Rowen

      Happy New Year, folks.
    • Keri-Lynn Hyman
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 22, 2004
        Pardon me if I'm out of line here. I just joined two days ago. Are we talking about pockets in women's gown specifically or the time period in general? There are a pair of pants in the Patterns of Fashion pg.87 that have sewn in pockets. If I'm off topic I apologize.

        Thyre
        (rhymes with hair )