Re: [Authentic_SCA] Back to the yellow veils

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2001
      At 12:25 AM 5/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards the yellow veil
      reference again?  I want to try something.

      Thanks,
      Rose

      This website has a pretty good paper on sumptuary laws
      http://www.armory.com/~skuld/venice.html

      and cites as a reference 16Diane Owen Hughes, Sumptuary Law and Social Relations in Renaissance Italy in Disputes and settlements, John Bossy ed., p. 92.   For the yellow veil as a requirement.

      Despina

    • roswtr@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2001
        Thank you, ma'am!

        Rose

        _______
      • roswtr@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2001
          Thank you Despina!

          I dunno what's happening, but I'm not getting my yahoo email at the
          moment. I'm trying to get caught up on the web pages now.

          Yuck.

          Rose :)

          > At 12:25 AM 5/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards the yellow
          veil
          > >reference again? I want to try something.
          > >
          > >Thanks,
          > >Rose
          >
          > This website has a pretty good paper on sumptuary laws
          > http://www.armory.com/~skuld/venice.html
          >
          > and cites as a reference 16Diane Owen Hughes, Sumptuary Law and
          Social
          > Relations in Renaissance Italy in Disputes and settlements, John
          Bossy ed.,
          > p. 92. For the yellow veil as a requirement.
          >
          > Despina
        • Anabella
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2001
            --- roswtr@... wrote:

            >>>Thank you, ma'am!

            Rose<<<<

            You're welcome, glad to be of help.

            Bella

            http://store.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Store
            - It's time you had your business online!
          • Ariane Helou
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2001
              Oh, that's the same quotation I came across... :)
              There are a couple other places where I've seen reference to the yellow
              veils, I can try to dig them up - would've replied sooner, but the internet
              connection in my building was dead for three days. So there are 550
              messages in my inbox that want reading... ;)

              Vittoria the Deluged

              >Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards
              >the yellow veil reference again? I want to try
              >something.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >Rose
              >

              >Hi Rose! In "Lives of the Courtesans", Lynne Lawner,
              >1987, in discussing the courtesan and culture, states
              >that:
              >
              >"Tullia d'Aragona produced, with the help of Sperone
              >Speroni and other lovers, a volume of verse that,
              >presented to the Medici duke of Florence, obtained her
              >exoneration from wearing the yellow veil courtesans
              >customarily donned in that city." This is not much to
              >go on, but it's all I can find at the moment. Hope it
              >helps some! :)
              >

              >Bella

            • Ariane Helou
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                Spiffy! Let us know how it turns out :)

                Vittoria

              • roswtr@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                  Thanks, Vittoria. Since I didn't make it to Beltane, I missed the dye
                  workshop that the textile guild ran. But I've a mind to try that