Re: Oh Hat Mavens...

  • Mark Calderwood
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2001
      >(Great outfit in your picture in the files,
      > > btw, very flash, and dead sexy boots too!)
      >
      >"Dead sexy?" HAve you been consorting with our Kiwi friends?

      Indeed not sir! :o) Far too much British television... I have the leather
      sitting around somewhere for a pair of jigsaw-appliqued Ottoman boots in
      pink and brown, one of these years. I've also found a pair of Ottoman boots
      made in the same way from silk brocades, but they date to 1667.

      >I saw Mehmed the Conqueror's talismanic shirt in the "flesh" so to
      >speak at an exhibit in DC. Did you know the bottom outside facing on
      >that shirt is bias?

      Did actually, it's mentioned in my big book of the Topkapi Saray textiles
      and garments. It looks like the facing panels on shirts and caftan were
      usually cut on the bias.

      >One of the caftans had toggle buttons made of fired clay cylinder
      >beads with a wire stuck perpindicular out of the side of cylinder as
      >a shank. Button was covered in silk wrapped around, through center,
      >around, through center etc. This could be seen quite clearly on some
      >of the frayed buttons. But in the catolag, they show you a close up
      >of the unfrayed, uninformative buttons. Sheesh!!(If I may steal one
      >of Kass's favorite words)

      Oooh, that's interesting...I'd so far been hypothesising that the buttons
      were silk wrapped over a wooden core, and clay never occurred to me. Thank
      you! :o)

      Giles
    • Mark Calderwood
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2001
        Book is "Islamic Textiles" by Petricial L Baker, British Museum Press.

        Another great book is Silk and Religion: an exploration material life and the thought of the people AD 600-1200, by Xinru Liu, Delhi: Oxford University Press 1996, ISBN 0195636554. It's very rare and hard to get (mine is a photocopy from Fischer Library at Sydney Uni), but eminently worth the trouble.

        I also want a copy of "Silk for the Sultans" about the Ottoman textile industry, but seeing as that's $375 USD it's not going to happen...

        Giles