Back to the yellow veils

  • roswtr@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001
      Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards the yellow veil
      reference again? I want to try something.

      Thanks,
      Rose
    • Anabella
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001
        --- roswtr@... wrote:

        Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards
        the yellow veil reference again? I want to try
        something.

        Thanks,
        Rose

        Hi Rose! In "Lives of the Courtesans", Lynne Lawner,
        1987, in discussing the courtesan and culture, states
        that:

        "Tullia d'Aragona produced, with the help of Sperone
        Speroni and other lovers, a volume of verse that,
        presented to the Medici duke of Florence, obtained her
        exoneration from wearing the yellow veil courtesans
        customarily donned in that city." This is not much to
        go on, but it's all I can find at the moment. Hope it
        helps some! :)

        Bella

        http://store.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Store
        - It's time you had your business online!
      • Cynthia Virtue
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001
          > exoneration from wearing the yellow veil courtesans
          > customarily donned in that city."

          And if you were in a different city, there were different requirements.
          One legislated a striped hood, another a red armband, etc. I wouldn't
          be surprised if what was sumptuary for nobles one place became required
          labeling for outcastes another place.

          --
          Cynthia du Pré Argent (Hartshorn-dale, East)

          Linux programmers in Norway have created the first experimental
          implementation of RFC-1149, IP over Carrier Pigeon. (04/01)
        • Anabella
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001

            Cynthia wrote:

            And if you were in a different city, there were
            different requirements. One legislated a striped hood,
            another a red armband, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if
            what was sumptuary for nobles one place became
            required labeling for outcastes another place.

            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            Right....then you have the added problem of courtesans
            NOT wearing what they were required to wear, or
            wearing something they weren't allowed to, as happened
            in Venice. At one point I've read somewhere,
            courtesans in Venice were required to wear a yellow
            veil, but that was discarded because they decided to
            flout the law by pretending to be noble matrons or
            virgins so they could wear silks and pearls etc.

            Bella

            http://store.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Store
            - It's time you had your business online!
          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2001
              At 12:25 AM 5/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards the yellow veil
              reference again?  I want to try something.

              Thanks,
              Rose

              This website has a pretty good paper on sumptuary laws
              http://www.armory.com/~skuld/venice.html

              and cites as a reference 16Diane Owen Hughes, Sumptuary Law and Social Relations in Renaissance Italy in Disputes and settlements, John Bossy ed., p. 92.   For the yellow veil as a requirement.

              Despina

            • roswtr@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2001
                Thank you, ma'am!

                Rose

                _______
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2001
                  Thank you Despina!

                  I dunno what's happening, but I'm not getting my yahoo email at the
                  moment. I'm trying to get caught up on the web pages now.

                  Yuck.

                  Rose :)

                  > At 12:25 AM 5/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards the yellow
                  veil
                  > >reference again? I want to try something.
                  > >
                  > >Thanks,
                  > >Rose
                  >
                  > This website has a pretty good paper on sumptuary laws
                  > http://www.armory.com/~skuld/venice.html
                  >
                  > and cites as a reference 16Diane Owen Hughes, Sumptuary Law and
                  Social
                  > Relations in Renaissance Italy in Disputes and settlements, John
                  Bossy ed.,
                  > p. 92. For the yellow veil as a requirement.
                  >
                  > Despina
                • Anabella
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2001
                    --- roswtr@... wrote:

                    >>>Thank you, ma'am!

                    Rose<<<<

                    You're welcome, glad to be of help.

                    Bella

                    http://store.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Store
                    - It's time you had your business online!
                  • Ariane Helou
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                      Oh, that's the same quotation I came across... :)
                      There are a couple other places where I've seen reference to the yellow
                      veils, I can try to dig them up - would've replied sooner, but the internet
                      connection in my building was dead for three days. So there are 550
                      messages in my inbox that want reading... ;)

                      Vittoria the Deluged

                      >Bella, Vittoria or anybody -- can you point me towards
                      >the yellow veil reference again? I want to try
                      >something.
                      >
                      >Thanks,
                      >Rose
                      >

                      >Hi Rose! In "Lives of the Courtesans", Lynne Lawner,
                      >1987, in discussing the courtesan and culture, states
                      >that:
                      >
                      >"Tullia d'Aragona produced, with the help of Sperone
                      >Speroni and other lovers, a volume of verse that,
                      >presented to the Medici duke of Florence, obtained her
                      >exoneration from wearing the yellow veil courtesans
                      >customarily donned in that city." This is not much to
                      >go on, but it's all I can find at the moment. Hope it
                      >helps some! :)
                      >

                      >Bella

                    • Ariane Helou
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                        Spiffy! Let us know how it turns out :)

                        Vittoria

                      • roswtr@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                          Thanks, Vittoria. Since I didn't make it to Beltane, I missed the dye
                          workshop that the textile guild ran. But I've a mind to try that