Re: evaporative cooling - was saladin's ice

  • byvordhr
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8 10:12 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
      > <snip>
      > Our Companie haven't tried this way of keeping things - especially
      butter & cheese & wines - cool for our Noonmeals at our events yet,
      because we are still looking for suitable earthenware vessels.
      > This method is also supposed to be as old as Roman Times; when it
      was said to have been described by Appius, and also by some Military
      Commentators when talking about the Legions' Commissary matters.
      > Would any Lister who knows more care to add further enlightening
      comment for all of us?

      Those terra cotta wine cooling vessels turn up at Goodwills and other
      thrift outlets with fair regularity. They are usually sized for one
      bottle of wine. One would be suitable for butter or cheese as well.

      Saeunn