names for Rus, Turk, Arab and Persian

  • Slaney ingen Laighen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2005
      Greetings~
      First off, please forgive this massive cross post. Second, I'm working on developing a persona in Azerbaijan (which is near the Caucaus Mtns, b/t the Caspian and Black Seas). By the end of period, the Rus, Turks and Persians had been through there, so it would be reasonable for my persona to have name bits from any of those cultures. And if I wanted to not worry abt documentation, I could probably fudge around some and take from even more cultures since it's along the Silk Road, but I can be a bit of an authenticity maven at times. So, the question is "What are the best sources for names from these cultures?" Internet, book...as long as it's documentable. Thanks.
      ~Slaney~
      Also, I know that some sources seperate names by religion and gender...so let me pass on now that I'm planning on being Islamic female. Thanks again!

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2005
        Sa'ada sent some good name sources for Arabic and Turkish.

        I'd like to add this article - it has women's names from the 16th c.
        (Safavid) period, and also earlier names:
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ursula/persian.html
        Persian Feminine Names from the Safavid Period
        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita