an interesting assumption about sugar

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      First, thanks everyone for the ideas about making the cones/loaves.

      I think it's really interesting that everyone is giving suggestions for
      making brown sugar cones, whether turbinado or form brown sugar. We know
      that they had white sugar in period, in fact, it is specifically mentioned
      in a number of documents, including one which tells us (a sugarpaste
      recipe, no less) to take the finest of white sugar. So it seems
      reasonable that they would have had white sugar loaves as well.

      I'll probably check in on my slurry attempt this evening and try a
      softball-stage syrup mixed with granulated and then dried.

      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences