Re: Eaters of the Dead

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
      Well, i haven't read Crichton's book "Eaters of the Dead", although i
      imagine it is well written and amusing. However i think y'all are
      being much too generous to the film "13th Warrior". I saw it as my
      consortly duty, but there was so much that was wrong with it in so
      many many ways - and, trust me, i was not expecting historical
      accuracy, since i knew it was complete fiction.

      The Arabic author's name is most often Romanized as "ibn Fadlan" -
      the "d" is a "dark d", a sound not in English which affects the sound
      of the first "a". But not to worry, it is the second syllable that is
      stressed.

      He was sent as an emissary from the Abbasid Caliphate in Baghdad in
      about 921 to "the Rus", who is generally interpreted as being Norse
      people ("viking" is a verb) in what is now Russia. I'm much more
      interested in reading his writings, than Crichton's, although he is
      often amusing.

      One should bear in mind that Crichton is writing fiction - fantastic
      (as in "fantasy") fiction - no matter how much research he does. If
      one wants to know about the people whom or events which he is
      writing, one should check his bibliography - he often includes one -
      and read *those* books for factual information.

      I dread the thought of Pagan rituals or SCA personas based on
      Crichton's writings...
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita